Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports between Geneva and Lausanne

Need to go to Morges in 10 days. Don't seem to be a lot of options other than Lausanne VFR or Geneva. Have I missed anywhere?

EGTK Oxford

LSGP might be a bit small for a PA46

Go to geneva LSGG while it's possible. They're not to fond of GA and the aero club might get kicked out of the airport soon.

If you are OK with cancelling IFR and proceeding VFR I would recommend Lausanne. Easy going airfield with nice facilities. Other Mirages and Meridians operate out of it so performance wise it should be ok. There are also TBMs, PC-12s, king airs and even a Cessna Mustang operating from LSGL. Worst case use ILS rwy 23 lsgg as cloudbreak procedure - which is the normal way of doing it if weather is so so.

Lausanne is only 10min by train to Morges whereas Geneva airport is 35 min by train. If land at Lausanne you need 10 min taxi to train station, and if land Geneva GA terminal (north side) you need taxi to get around field to southern side where train station is or best case you can get a shuttle to take you across the field.

I bet you that landing and parking fees are lower at Lausanne though.

I woukd think you are not really happy to use the grass strip (Meridian not even approved for it?) to land in Geneva (parallel to rwy) but if you want to use the main rwy you need to book a slot on ppr.gva.ch

If you need more information please PM me.

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

Thanks Guys. Interestingly handling is not mandatory at LSGG, the landing fees are surprisingly good. Grass is actually allowed but I wouldn't use it to be honest. Think I will try for Lausanne. Can you file Geneva as an alternate without a slot?

EGTK Oxford

Yes. But check NOTAMs, in some cases you may not file it as Altn. This is typically the case when there is a lot (too much) of traffic - normally entire winter season is like this over weekends when all the charters / low costs flood the airport for all ski tourists. But I have seen it in a few other cases, but check Notam for Geneva. Wouldn't believe it's a problem at this time of year.

If there's a problem iwth LSGG as altn, file Bern as altn instead.

Grassfield,

re LSGG: so, is my understanding correct that if I am willing to land on the grass runway and willing to park on the north apron, I don't even need to PPR at all, even if I fly in IFR? How does the payment process work in that case? Is there an office on the north side? Thanks,

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I believe default for IFR is the main rwy (and slot). I don't know about your suggestion. Call them and ask. I see they've changed the website - earlier there was a tel no you could call to book and get your approval number but now the site says one as to call one of the four handlers...

Paying on Northern side is no issue at all. They have a nice GA terminal on North side with everything you need. I'm not even sure they would allow small planes on southern side.... last time I was there it was north side but they offered shuttle to get to south side.

According to Jeppesen, the Tel. no. is 0227177126. In fact, it comes across rather clearly that only commercial flights require handling.

Re the rwy usage (and thus the PPR/slot requirment), this is a bit tricky...the approach plates don't show any particular sidestep/swingover minima, but I don't know if this means that you cannot use the grass runway after flying an IAP...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message