Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airspace Classification Help for PPL Exams

Don’t get your knickers in a twist Vanessa Alexis. Nothing has been deleted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s great humour, (I also love Monty Python.)

Vanessa, by the way, was a girlfriend of mine, many years ago. I thought that fits a good looking TBM pilot. You should get over that, it was not meant to keep you busy for so long.

Back to the topic:
I have heard “Radar Contact” in Germany, Austria, CZ and I think in Croatia and in France too. It would be strange if German ATC used “nonstandard phrases” regularly.

Establishing radar contact doesn’t have anything with airspace. On the rare occasions that I’ve been unsure of being cleared into airspace that requires a clearance, I’ve asked ATC to confirm (or retract) the clearance explicitly.

Alexis wrote:

“Radar Contact” is standard phraseology, IMHO

Indeed, just it’s defined meaning is not “we see you on the radar and you can enter controlled airspace”, but simply “we see you on the radar”. So it’s non-standard when used in the former meaning.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

RADAR contact is standard IMHO but has nothing to do with being cleared. It is the equivalent of being identified by a RADAR controller based on location, altitude and squawk.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Jul 18:21
EGTK Oxford

Exactly, I missed that, of course “radar contact” is no clearance. It only means that they see you!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So funny! The type of subtle British humour I love.

Last Edited by at 14 Jul 20:05

Peter wrote:

Class E is CAS for IFR and OCAS for VFR.

VMC is when you are not in cloud. IMC is when you are in cloud.

VFR is when you are not supposed to be in cloud (but if you are, nobody knows).

I feel like battling windmills sometimes, but nevertheless…

Class E is CAS no matter if you are VFR or IFR, but you don’t need a clearance if VFR. The distinction between CAS and OCAS is important because it affects the VMC minima.

VMC is when you have sufficient flight visibility and sufficient distance to cloud. Both depend on the situation, including the CAS/OCAS distinction. You can certainly not be in cloud and still be in IMC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message