Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airspace Classification Help for PPL Exams

Class E is CAS no matter if you are VFR or IFR, but you don’t need a clearance if VFR. The distinction between CAS and OCAS is important because it affects the VMC minima.

… which almost nobody who flies for real in GA can remember, a week after they passed their PPL exams. The full matrix is horrible.

Sure Class E is “controlled airspace” but if VFR traffic can be in it with no radio and no transponder, what does this mean? Absolutely nothing, zero, zilch in reality.

“Radar contact” is in PANS-ATM. I don’t see how anything could be more standard ICAO phraseology .

Not for the context in question (CAS entry clearance, and the mis-use of that phrase for it).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However “radar contact” is nonstandard-ICAO phraseology.

“Radar contact” is in PANS-ATM. I don’t see how anything could be more standard ICAO phraseology .

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Class E is CAS for IFR and OCAS for VFR.

VMC is when you are not in cloud. IMC is when you are in cloud.

VFR is when you are not supposed to be in cloud (but if you are, nobody knows).

I feel like battling windmills sometimes, but nevertheless…

Class E is CAS no matter if you are VFR or IFR, but you don’t need a clearance if VFR. The distinction between CAS and OCAS is important because it affects the VMC minima.

VMC is when you have sufficient flight visibility and sufficient distance to cloud. Both depend on the situation, including the CAS/OCAS distinction. You can certainly not be in cloud and still be in IMC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So funny! The type of subtle British humour I love.

Last Edited by at 14 Jul 20:05
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exactly, I missed that, of course “radar contact” is no clearance. It only means that they see you!

RADAR contact is standard IMHO but has nothing to do with being cleared. It is the equivalent of being identified by a RADAR controller based on location, altitude and squawk.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Jul 18:21
EGTK Oxford

Alexis wrote:

“Radar Contact” is standard phraseology, IMHO

Indeed, just it’s defined meaning is not “we see you on the radar and you can enter controlled airspace”, but simply “we see you on the radar”. So it’s non-standard when used in the former meaning.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Establishing radar contact doesn’t have anything with airspace. On the rare occasions that I’ve been unsure of being cleared into airspace that requires a clearance, I’ve asked ATC to confirm (or retract) the clearance explicitly.

Back to the topic:
I have heard “Radar Contact” in Germany, Austria, CZ and I think in Croatia and in France too. It would be strange if German ATC used “nonstandard phrases” regularly.

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message