Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Albert Bray LFAQ, anyone been?

hello all,

We are wanting to visit here for the day in a couple of weeks, it’s not far on from Le Touquet but I am yet to recieve a reply via email from them as regards details so hoping someone can assist with the basics. I am going to do some digging with the AIP but there is nothing like personal experience hence this post.

I note there are no customs so am I correct in thinking my only option is to land at Le Touquet first, which seems a bit of a waste as no one will want to speak to me there. I suppose we could use the opportunity for a fuel stop. After this can we depart and fly direct back to the UK from Albert Bray with no issues? Any other special requirements (such as prior email required to them)? Anyone know of a hire car or motorbike/scooter company we could use as we need to travel around 30 miles by road when we arrive as we want to return to the UK the same day rather than stay over?

Thank you in advance

Liam

Last Edited by Liam at 11 Aug 16:20
EGCN

Check them out at navigeo.org/lfaq , click “cartes” then, almost at the bottom and in small print “Cartes VAC”, and you have the official airport info.
No customs, so much is clear. But it is “Ouvert à la CAP” so no PPR, at least not within their official operational hours.
As I see it, it is mainly an Airbus factory a/d, with some recreational flying mainly in the weekends.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

See 1st post here for a link to the list of French Customs (Customs+Immigration, to be strict) airports.

All other French airports cannot be used for a flight from the UK, or a flight back to the UK.

Yes, it’s crazy, and yes nobody at LFAT looks at you, but this is the system we have to live with. It’s worldwide.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies, seems like we have a pointless toilet stop at LFAT then, which will add 30 minutes to our trip.

Id be greatful on any personal experience of the airfield as I dont want to be stung by anything not obvious, i.e 300 euro airbus fees.. ;)

EGCN

This is the contacts page from Navbox Pro

Give them a call. There is a fair chance they will speak English.

Or you could email every address in there.

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Aug 16:36
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter, a great help as always. I did actually email (at least 2 of them at least) them addresses already and they bounced back hence my post on here. I shall have to try the phone method.

Liam

ah your link has vanished before I had chance to copy the other email address

Last Edited by Liam at 11 Aug 16:40
EGCN

The navigeo site gives more contact addresses, including the local aeroclub.
Then again, a phone call might well be more effective than mail or fax.

And no, LFAT is not your only option, we recently found LFAC Calais a quite acceptable alternative

Last Edited by at 11 Aug 16:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks Jan, Calais is cheaper I believe as well.

I am now considering Amiens instead, further on the road when we arrive but at least can go direct.

Not sure if fuel is an issue though

EGCN

we recently found LFAC Calais a quite acceptable alternative

last time I wanted to go to Calais, TWR was NOTAMed not working. This wouldn’t be a problem if you weren’t required to speak french on the radio outside TWR operating hours, and I don’t have a french RT entry in the license.

LSZK, Switzerland

Bad luck, Thomas! But couldn’t one live a similar scenario at LKKV Karlovy Vary or LELL Sabadell (two examples that come to mind, without checking their AIP entries) ? There may be so many reasons for an aerodrome not being available, after all. That doesn’t make a field a bad field.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message