Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alternatives to EasyVFR/SkyDemon

Does anyone have a list of available VFR apps ?

EasyVFR does not work on Android 5.0 and SkyDemon is very limited (few airports, Silverlight requirements etc)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I would have suggested Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR but that does not work on any flavour of Android

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Just wait a little, a new version of EVFR is around the corner. I am confident they will get that going with Android 5.0 soon. Except 5.0 is a bug itself ….. Vic
vic
EDME

An update for EasyVFr is very very immiment. It’s believed to fix all known problems with Android Lolipop, along with bring plenty of new features and updates.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think FlyISFun is a good software, but as of today, no charts to buy, so it depends what you want to do. You can load plates (PDF) into the program by hand, though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

An update for EasyVFr is very very immiment. It’s believed to fix all known problems with Android Lolipop, along with bring plenty of new features and updates.

OK, excellent

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

www.sky-map.de

very nice!!

and offcourse Garmin

Last Edited by Commander at 23 Dec 15:42

SkyDemon is very limited (few airports, Silverlight requirements etc)

There are not “few” airports in SkyDemon. As far as I can see, every airport which is in the AIP (has a location indicator) is there, and so are many others. Of course there will always be some strips missing, but that goes for every flight planning program. What are you expecting?

The SkyDemon web application may require Silverlight, but why do you want to use it? SkyDemon is available natively for both Android, iOS, Windows and MacOS (unofficial, but works well).

Have you actually used SkyDemon?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

+1 from me for Sky Map, I actually use it in conjunction with Flight Planner 6.0 – here I can plan my route using the comfort of my PC, prepare flight logs, weight and balance, check NOTAMs and print it all out including paper charts if necessary and then export it direct to my Android. I have the full version of Sky Map installed on my Note 3 because I wanted the ability to have GAFOR / NOTAMs overlaid when I’m flying. Excellent piece of programming, also includes a Logbook function which helps me with Take off and Landing times, just makes flying so much more relaxed……

NOT recommendable is Air Nav (irrespective of Pro or Lite version). I used that for a year but got so fed up because the developer would release an Update which you HAD to install otherwise the APP wouldn’t start, then this new update would delete ALL your Maps. So in 2012 I was in Budapest when an update came through and hey presto – I was left there with no maps on my GPS. Obviously I had the paper charts but I prefer to have GPS backing me up to make sure I don’t bimble into someone’s airspace accidentally so I had to stump up just over €100 in mobile data just to get my Maps reinstalled.

I wrote to the programmers repeatedly ASKING them not to delete our maps – the thing was, the maps WEREN’T actually being deleted, just the references to them and the programming was so poor it didn’t have a refresh function to allow the system to check what maps were actually available – you had to download them to allow the system to see them. They wrote 3 times saying “yes, this was a one off bug” only for the next 17 updates to have the same bug in it….. DIA-BOLLOCKS-ICAL, is the phrase a certain friend of mine would use for this programme. Maybe it’s better now but I for one won’t touch it with a bargepole….. Paid my money too many times over…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 23 Dec 17:53
EDL*, Germany

Lollipop (5.0) broke the runtimes for both EasyVFR and Skydemon. No idea about the others above.
In fact Android 5.0 was so buggy it crippled some Nexus devices. So it’s not just Apple that can screw up a OS update.
Google have published their second bug fix release for Lollipop (5.0.2).
It is already available for Nexus 7 (v1)
Hopefully this will work properly and things will be back to normal.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message