Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Altitude preselect KAS297B changes pitch when setting altimeter from QNH to flight level - normal ?

Only 27 years old then

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In aviation, that’s nothing :)
Still, these systems are in service today, and I have encountered two guys at least who had the same issue; it might help whoever has once wondered what’s going on.
I consider this behaviour as potentially dangerous, and I wonder why it has ever been certified that way. But that may be my personal opinion.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 19 Nov 09:46
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

What is the fix – they send you a replacement EPROM?

HBK autopilot servicing is done pretty well only in the US nowadays. Last I heard, they pulled the plug on various authorised repairers – like this. This appears to be so for the KFC225 at least.

From the era, this sounds like an analog autopilot with a CPU which does just the user interface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, Avionik Straubing can still do it and I will send it to them, they’re reportedly the only ones in Europe who can do these things these days.
I had bought it used from one of their customers, and apparently it was overlooked that this particular 27 year old SB had been done, since it’s one of the older serial numbers. They’ll replace the EPROM free of cost, a matter of couple days really, and I’m done.

The KFC 150 is an attitude based AP, actually pretty good, installed in the Malibus, many of the Bonanzas and Barons, and many more. The KFC 225 is the modern version of it; I am actually waiting for the Aerocruze, because I guess it will save me replacing the servos and wiring….

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message