Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Altlantic, Canada, US IFR charts

I fly my plane to Pennsylvania for an avionics upgrade in May (takes 2 month), return with airline to Germany, return to Pennsylvania with airline end July, pick up the plane, fly Oshkosh, West Coast etc and then back to Germany.

I’m looking to get proper IFR charts for this trip. Checked with Jeppesen today I would need trip kits for Atlantic (190 EUR), East Canada (190 EUR), USA full (440 EUR). Sums up to 820 EUR for 28 days. So I need 2 trip kits = 1640 EUR. I think I can save a bit by using an US trip kit which covers only Eastern US for the first part of the trip. So the cost would be roughly 1500 EUR for the charts.

Any recommendations to save some money here are highly appreciated!

EDXQ

Check the ForeFlight. Canada and North Atlantic are now included.

YSCB

In a word: ForeFlight. You’ll still need to buy the Atlantic charts (although I have heard they now include the transoceanic routes, not sure). Costs you $ 149 in the pro version, good for a year.

Edit to add: including Canada it’s $ 299.99. Now also comes with ADS-B wx, if you have an ADS-B receiver.

Last Edited by 172driver at 13 Jan 10:08

Foreflight does a 3 month membership deal IIRC. Check out fltplan.com for getting the US/Canadian en-route charts for free, although not as nice an interface as Foreflight.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

ForeFlight is the only way to go, but I am biased. The founder is in a hangar opposite mine at my airport in Rock Hill, SC. If you have any questions, ForeFlight provides excellent support.

KUZA, United States

Thanks a lot, guys. It seems I should go with ForeFlight and the Stratus ADS-B Receiver for the weather. What do you think?

Btw, the receiver creates his own WiFi. This would be a test to let the ADL use this WiFi as a client to be able to use the weblog and SMS functions.

EDXQ

muelli, I think that’s the winning combination!

Would that be great to have this stuff at this price in Europe!!

EDXQ

Btw, the receiver creates his own WiFi. This would be a test to let the ADL use this WiFi as a client to be able to use the weblog and SMS functions.

I got lost in the acronyms ADL and SMS, but there is no access to the internet when the iPad is connected to the Stratus unit Wifi.

KUZA, United States

Would that be great to have this stuff at this price in Europe!!

Muelli, I could not agree more! I use ForeFlight when flying in the US and it’s simply fabulous. IMHO Jepp would have done better by selling their charting product as an add-on to ForeFlight rather than a standalone product. As they were/are the only ones with a Europe-wide coherent map database, I cannot rally see ForeFlight moving into the Euro market. Would be great!

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message