Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AME confidentiality

Over the years I have been told by two UK based AMEs (aviation medical examiners) that there is no “off the record” option i.e. everything you tell them they are bound to report to the CAA.

More recently, one of them has openly written that it’s OK to have a “chat” with your AME.

Which of the two is right (both options cannot be right) and how does this vary around Europe?

I know if you see a doctor as a normal personal doctor, he has a duty of confidentiality to you. But if you see the same doctor in his AME capacity then this may not be the same. Accordingly, nobody I know uses the same doctor for both functions and they regard the suggestion with much amusement

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The way I understand it is that the confidentiality remains UNLESS it is something that may affect your medical and/or ability to be in charge of an aircraft.

I think if you asked them “off the record” how to best deal with a recurring infection or something it shouldn’t be a problem (if minor), but if you said to them “off the record” that you hard started experienced epileptic fits then they would be duty bound to do something about it.

United Kingdom

Always keep two doctors. Never divulge stuff to AME.

the confidentiality remains UNLESS it is something that may affect your medical and/or ability to be in charge of an aircraft.

If that was all that mattered, the ICAO medical system could just be shut down, as evidence from the USA suggests

Never divulge stuff to AME.

You can’t do that in Europe anymore. They get your whole medical file from your GP (on a Class 1, for sure).

Administrator

In that case it must be a new-ish policy. When I went back in Sweden when I had my panic attacks about 15 years ago – every time they were clueless as to my previous admissions and I had to tell them all over again. Every single time. Obviously no records were kept on file. And this is Sweden, where bureaucracy is a national sport.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 22 Feb 19:49

You can’t do that in Europe anymore. They get your whole medical file from your GP (on a Class 1, for sure).

Not in Germany. I told my GP, that I’m an aeronautical engineer (which is not a lie). But he doesn’t know that since many years my main source of income is commercial flying. And I see my AME only once per year for my medical (well, sometimes I see him at the airport because he flies himself, but I won’t talk about anything health related with him on these occasions). So I strongly second the “always keep two doctors” statement above.

EDDS - Stuttgart

They get your whole medical file from your GP (on a Class 1, for sure).

Not in the UK either. The only record they have is what the AME determines and what you tell them. If you are Ex Military your GP does not even have your military medical records, they do not part with them.

When I went for my initial CAA Class 1, c. 2008, they required me to sign a form for the GP to hand over the whole file, and would not proceed unless I signed it.

I thought that perhaps this was a response to the stories which made the national news about airline pilots occasionally dying of something which their GP knew about.

Administrator

they required me to sign a form for the GP to hand over the whole file

I wonder if this was simply seeking a disclosure from your GP regarding any known conditions. I do not believe they have any right to the “file”
As I have never had an initial Class 1, I have never experienced this, a Class II morphed into a Class I without me doing anything. They do ask who my GP is but I don’t know, I have never met him! I know my GP does not have a copy of anything for the years spent in the military, I have a copy and its many times bigger than the couple of pages the GP has. My AME assured me the only CAA record is the collection of AME reports.

I discuss my medical condition with my AME. If you have a disqualifying condition, don’t expect the AME to lie to the FAA. If you plan to lie on your application and not inform your AME, you will be subject to loss of your medical and other sanctions if the condition is discovered. My AME is a senior AME and specializes in Special Issuance which are exceptions to the standards. I provide my data directly to him and if it is not satisfactory, he tells me or my doctor exactly what needs to be provided and in what form so that by the time I actually take my physical, he already has FAA permission to issue it. Part of the system is a new automated statement prior to the physical and until he endorses it, it is not official. He won’t endorse it until he knows there will be a satisfactory outcome or he will inform the pilot that they can’t obtain a physical. In many cases, the pilot has to obtain additional information or studies or wait a specific amount of time and obtain updated reports from the primary doctors. He is the pilot’s friend and has helped thousands of pilots through the process that would otherwise not be able to obtain a medical certificate. Many of his customers are airline or other professional pilots whose livelihood relies on having an appropriate medical.

KUZA, United States
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message