Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An aviator’s happiest moments are the day he buys his own airplane AND the day he sells it

For me it will be a sad day when the airplane is either sold by my widow or I can no longer fly. I bought my Bonanza in April of 1979. Paid it off in 1989. Bought out my partner in 1993.

KUZA, United States

I, too, used to have no car until half a year ago when the situation forced me to get one.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Also a recumbent bicycle.

Last Edited by kwlf at 23 Jul 11:10

Me.

@what_next
I don’t own a car. In fact, my driver’s license is expired. My wife (she does not own a car either) does the driving when we rent on vacation. It’s great being a passenger and letting someone else deal with traffic. Does anyone else own a plane but no car?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 23 Jul 09:52
Tököl LHTL

I’ve owned my aircraft since I was 35 – now 38. It was homebuilt (by somebody else).

Last Edited by kwlf at 23 Jul 09:41

As Peter wrote, owner-operated costs vary quite widely.

My Maule costs about 110 GBP an hour (say 16.5k a year) all-in, including fuel, maintenance, insurance and VAT. That includes 20 GBP an hour reserve for engine, landing gear, fabric and all the other stuff which I expect to break or wear out because I use it like a sort of aerial Unimog.

Maybe I should put another tenner in the kitty for periodic replacement of avionics, but it’s a bushplane so it only has the basic essentials: GTN650, HSI, A/P, ADSB-out, and the price of all that stuff is coming down.

I doubt if anyone in his right mind would rent an airplane to me, but if they did, I expect they’d want more than 120 quid an hour wet for any 3/4 seat IFR taildragger with 8 hours endurance.

So, no, I’m not inclined to sell it.

For a piston-engined chopper, we can more or less double those costs, but they’re also not cheap machines to rent.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

And regarding the pilots vs. aviators thing: Maybe true for some but certainly not true for many. Me included, even if I found a way to combine my passion for aviation with a way to get my income from that.

Long time since you have taken a look in the mirror? I don’t think one in general can place one pilot in this or that category. We all are a mix, some more on the Pilot side than the Aviator side and vice versa. But it illustrates two poles we are drawn towards.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I read in the british magazine called “Pilot Magazine” years ago (mid 90’s it must have been) a rather funny and amusing article of Pilots vs Aviators.

If someone can find out which issue it was I may still have it somewhere in my garage and could scan it. (I wanted to throw out the old aviation magazines since a long time but then I either too lazy or too sentimental to actually do it).

And regarding the pilots vs. aviators thing: Maybe true for some but certainly not true for many. Me included, even if I found a way to combine my passion for aviation with a way to get my income from that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

Getting someone else to pay for your flying requires getting oneself into a position which is hard to achieve – for most

Not really. I have done it for years already, and we are in constant need of glider tow pilots. Of course the “mission profile” is not negotiable and it do not include “going places” if that’s your cup of tea. But, great fun and glider pilots are a nice bunch.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
92 Posts
Sign in to add your message