Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An interesting airprox (Red Arrows jet and a C152)

From here

here local copy

Quite an interesting read from another angle

Actually Peter the two links in the first post go to different documents but both thoroughly interesting to read.

The first link actually goes to AIRPROX REPORT No 2018252

[ whoops, sorry, links now fixed, and posts separated into two threads ]

Which is an amazing read. Basically its the red arrows bust an ATZ in Class G due to a bit of cloud to the north and GPS not suitable for purpose. However some of the comments I find a little eye opening “Quite rightly, the Hawk pilot was prioritising ensuring safe separation from the traffic over avoidance of the airspace”

I wonder if the same conclusion would have been formed if the C152 had busted a military ATZ in class G?

Yes; that incident has drawn quite a bit of comment on various sites, mostly along the lines that the RAF got away with what a civilian could not have got away with. One well known ex RAF (now CAA, as it happens the head guy in charge of infringements, but posting under a nickname) disputed it forcefully, saying that while the Red Arrows didn’t get busted openly by the CAA, “you” have no way of knowing what process their leader was subjected to in the military, afterwards. He then posted this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that in this day and age that not all military aircraft have other aircraft detection activated on their head-up displays….

James_Chan wrote:

all military aircraft have other aircraft detection activated on their head-up displays

The Reds fly the Hawk T1 i.e. ancient.

By reading the various report from the (UK) airprox board, loads of military a/c don’t have TAS/TCAS/… due to money and the difficulties to integrate it in the existing avionics and the restricted space.

Conveniently they are very often exempt form civilian rules so no VHF 8.33kHz, no TCAS, no RVSM

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Conveniently they are very often exempt form civilian rules so no VHF 8.33kHz

I wonder whether this is why the UK CAA has implemented most 8.33 channels as “fake 25kHz” channels i.e. just adding 5kHz. You can use those with a 25kHz radio and nobody can tell because the transmit frequency is the same as before.

Administrator

Exemptions from civilian equipment carriage/airspace rules is how in the US a F4 hit a DC9 and killed everyone on board.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

You can use those with a 25kHz radio and nobody can tell because the transmit frequency is the same as before.

I think it’s to stop it transmitting “wide” such that it gets picked up by receivers on the adjacent 8.33Khz frequencies.

The transmit signal on say 120.225 and 120.230 is identical in all respects – see many previous threads e.g. here.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The transmit signal on say 120.225 and 120.230 is identical in all respects – see many previous threads

They are likely identical in practise, but they need not be.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message