Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An interesting article on GA aircraft noise levels

Slight thread dift here but I bumped into an instructor find of mine who works for an organisation that has just brought 2 or it might be 3 diesel PA28. The first thing he went on about was how quite they are inside.

I do love the ANR and will be investing in a pair of ANR headsets in the new year. This topic brought back another memory which still makes me chuckle. I used to fly a Bonnie that had, as standard, ANR headsets. I had a bird strike in the aircraft and on the way back to home base and shortly after the strike the batteries in my passengers headset went flat and he suddenly had the roar of the engine in his ears. A trouser changing moment for him as he thought something had fallen off the plane as a result of the strike. I had the giggles all the way home. He eventually found his sense of humour. Hehehehehe. Sorry for the thread drift.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

With the Bose A20 the SR22 is really not noisy, actually (like Peter) the first time i pressed on the ANR button I thought the engine had stopped :-)

My first instructor was an ex Dutch Navy pilot (Catalina) who was most miffed when I refused to fly with him without a headset – if only to reduce the volume of his constant screaming at me

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thank Peter.

Shoreham

The Bose A20 is an outstanding headset. I have two of them now. When I first started using them (from Bose X) I thought there was something wrong with the engineā€¦ so I checked the instruments but could not see anything out of line.

I have these and find them to offer just a tiny amount of noise cancellation, even compared to the bog standard Dave Clark non-noise cancelling headsets.

[quote fixed (use the Quote button having swiped the text to be quoted first) but the URL is still dead]

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 14:55

In the good old days, perhaps not so good, headphones weren’t used or indeed available to the average GA pilot. It would part explain why my hearing is not as sharp as it should be and why Mum is as deaf as a door post now.

Picture of me a moon or two ago zooting around sans headphones. Like with GPS, I loved it when I got my first set of headphones. It go very tiring trying to listen to ATC on a less than perfect speaker – say again please, I say, SAY AGAIN PLEASE. Hehehehehehe.

Hmm, cant seem to get the picture to display. Doh.

[fixed – on Photobucket use the Direct Link – also see Posting Tips]

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 14:33
Last Edited by Bloomer at 18 Nov 14:27
Shoreham

It is – very likely – down to the doors. The Colucessnavalis 400 whatever has inflatable door seals, switching them on makes a huge difference in noise level at higher speeds, very noticeable even through ANR headsets (Bose X at the time). Shame that they always get punctured due to the door latching mechanism.

Attitudes change over time – when I learned to fly, a headset was a luxury and all school planes had a speaker and a hand-held microphone. Only the higher-end ones had intercoms, and that was normal at the time.

Biggin Hill

I recall the SR22 being significantly more noisy than my TB20, and that is why I am suprised (not wishing to open that old can of worms again ) why Cirrus went for the throttle-rpm linkage, which produces a higher than necessary engine RPM for most flying regimes.

The Bose A20 is an outstanding headset. I have two of them now. When I first started using them (from Bose X) I thought there was something wrong with the engine… so I checked the instruments but could not see anything out of line.

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 13:51
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

THe SR22 is even louder than the TB20 … no fun without my BOSE A20s…. I even bought 2 for the kids … spent almost € 3800 on headsets … (i do not tell that my non-flying friends…)

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message