Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An unusual French aeroclub, at Annemasse?

Here Local copy

They even have a PA46 which is being rented out at some 500/hr

The PA46 is D-reg, which is interesting too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow, that’s quite a fleet ! I’d say highly unusual for a club.

Well, AFAIK that club is essentially „Aeroclub of Geneva & southwestern Switzerland“… which explains the size and type of aircraft they have.

There is no other suitable aerodrome for these people on the Swiss side. Plus, there are loads of advantages for Swiss pilots in flying from somewhere outside of Switzerland, one of them being that they don‘t have to worry about customs for most of their flights…

And even in France, despite the language barrier, D is regarded as a highly desirable register… (TBOs and stuff…)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Oct 16:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

100 students a year, yes hard to beat even Air Forces have less than that

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Nice fleet and reasonable prices, especially considering the region.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

reasonable prices

For the region maybe, but eye-watering for many other places.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

eye-watering for many other places.

Definitely from a Swedish perspective…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Read somewhere that the drop in exchange rate for the SEK towards EUR and CHF is in par with Zimbabwe.. a bit like the 90s when we also had all the signs of a banana republic: tropical climate (in summer at least) dodgy currency and pretty good foot ball team :)

ESG..., Sweden

Not only the Malibu is D-Reg also some others.

Which brings up an interesting question, are those VAT paid in Switzerland. I reckon that aeroclub might have quite a few Swiss members, but they would not be able to fly any of those airplanes into Switzerland unless they are customs and VAT sorted… I would not be surprised if they do tell the Swiss members that very quickly when they join. Same problem the other way around. It would be logical for the Geneva GA population to base their planes there, but I wonder how they do their thing with VAT.

Actually, Geneva is still open for GA if a bit cumbersome, and La Cote and Lausanne are pretty good solutions for Swiss residents based around Geneva too. Most people try not to live inside Geneva anyway as the taxes there are sky high, most try to live in the Canton of Vaud.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver

Exactly, a number of residents of Western Switzerland base their EU-but-not-Swiss-VAT-paid planes across the border in Bellegarde or Annemasse, and just never land in Switzerland. (Overflying is ok though.)

La Côte is a nice grass strip which can be used almost year-round, but there is very limited hangar availability (like pretty much everywhere else in the country).

Income tax levels are not hugely different between Geneva and Vaud, but real estate prices are considerably lower in nearby Vaud (and greater selection).

Last Edited by Zorg at 29 Oct 11:44
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message