Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another autorouting site - Czech - and why does Eurocontrol "route proposal" function often fail

It was mentioned here.

http://ibs.rlp.cz

I emailed them and got this

So they seem to give you access to the Eurocontrol route proposal function, but not autorouting. I also don’t know whether this service is only for flights with one end in CZ.

FPP also does the route proposal (its main autorouting function no longer works properly, due to old data). Unfortunately it often fails. I wonder why this is? Who do Eurocontrol run this service which sometimes just doesn’t do anything

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Eurocontrol’s route proposal feature is not meant as a general purpose solution, it is only an aid that can be useful. They clearly state this. It is not a routing algorithm but a database of routes.

autorouter makes use of Eurocontrol’s route proposals. In 99% of the cases we find the same routes but in case we get something from Eurocontrol that we did not find ourselves, it is shown as a result and marked as a Eurocontrol proposal (with an automatic alert sent to the administrators in case the user picks it because it points to a potential problem in the routing engine).

The smaller/less popular your city pair and the more your aircraft differs from an Airbus 320 etc., the less likely you will get a proposal.

Last Edited by achimha at 07 Jul 07:28

I don’t think it is a database of airliner routes, because you can get a route at FL100 etc.

It does seem to come out of some algorithm, albeit a deliberately crippled one, because very recently temporarily closed routes are taken into account.

The most obvious drawback of this feature is that the whole route is at one single level, so EGKA-LDLO (crossing the Alps) has to be filed at FL150 or so all the way.

EGKA-LDLO doesn’t suggest but EGKA-EGHH does and there is no airliner traffic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Please read carefully what I wrote — I didn’t say it is airliner only, I said you are more likely to get a result the closer your request is to a popular city pair and airliner traffic.

It’s true that in addition to a databse, there is an algorithm behind it and that this algorithm is not able to consider level changes. The route suggest feature has been around for a long time and it has seen some improvements lately. However, it is not very useful and does not have the ambition to be a complete solution.

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message