Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another way to get rid of the vacuum pump?

This battery backed gyro is interesting, with a 1hr battery backup.

It is about $5000…

There are two questions however:

1 – With King autopilots, you still need to do something about the pitch/roll reference, which has to be one of

• a KI256 driven from a vacuum pump (could a KI256 be driven permanently from an electrically driven pump?)
  • some other gyro (KVG350?)
  • a G500+GAD43
  • an EFD1000+EA100

2 – does this new gyro need to be in the pilot’s primary field of view?

The EFD1000 has a 30 minute battery backup.

I am thinking of a single alternator single battery US-reg aircraft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I contemplate getting a Dynon D1 as a stand by for the no gyro Super Cub.

Hopefully a good value TSO EFIS will come along soon. The non TSO variety seem to come in at around $1-3k, the TSO variety in five figures.

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/EFIS-Backups-Worth-the-Expense220989-1.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Rather than spending 5k on one Gyro, isn’t one better off spending say $12,000k on a dual Aspen setup? I am very impressed with the Aspen and with a dual setup you don’t need the vacuum pump any more and you have full redundancy.

EGHS

AFAIK, a dual Aspen installation (a PFD and MFD which at the press of a button could become the PFD) is not certifiable at present as both the primary and the back-up as they are essentially the same system (software and hardware) albeit in different boxes.

I do have a dual Aspen set-up in my plane and still required an independent AI, in my case the Mid-Continent Lifesaver, in order to get the plane IFR-certified. I can only speculate that this requirement is in place to avoid having no back-up at all should both units go dark at the same time due to e.g. a software problem.

In the US, Aspen has certified the so called “Evolution Backup Display” which, if I read this correctly, is nothing else but a standard Aspen PFD. It is, quote “Built to compliment existing non-Aspen glass cockpit solutions” which I translate to “not allowed as a back-up for existing Aspen installations”.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

essentially the same system (software and hardware)

That is curious, since loads of big jets have the same kit LH and RH, but it’s OK because they have 2 engines, 2 generators, 2 buses, etc.

They also have 2 Ipads for Jepp terminal charts That is IMHO not clever since it is completely possible for a malformed plate to crash the rendering code.

AIUI the main issue with Aspen (preventing them from removing one’s vacuum system totally, on a single alternator aircraft) is that their battery backup is not long enough for certification.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message