Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Antenna mounting on a wood or composite aircraft

Celtico, I have a Falco and the antenna that was installed in the VS failed before my ownership and was substituted with an external antenna mounted under the fuselage. It works OK but during the current re-fit I was considering installing one of those Bob Archer antenna in the fuselage.
I do not want to de-skin the VS in order to install a new antenna.

Forever learning
EGTB

Great plane, congratulations.

a question about the antenna was installed in the VS, what was the problem?

I can tell you how to put an antenna on the tail,
but not be a dipole, but to a monopole with ground plane

simple, economical, but requires patience in a good fit SWR. (a few hours in the afternoon.)
You can use thin copper tube brake or fridge, or fat copper cable electrical rigid.

is not necessary to open the tail, nor put any skin…

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

I don’t know what was wrong with the antenna in the VS, it was found to be defective before my ownership and the cable was cut.
As for your monopole, I’m all ears!

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 04 Apr 18:00
Forever learning
EGTB

Hello Stickandrudderman, I send a private..

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

I send a private..

Why? There’s more curious ears about!

Please do share the info (or perhaps it is confidential, or private? In that case, your PM is welcome here too)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hello Jan

It is not confidential

It is by the size of photos to show the example of VS

the idea is to copy this design

putting the ground plane on the horizontal spar, hinge area ….
(only in wood/glass plane)

Last Edited by celtico at 04 Apr 20:21
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

That’s very clever.

And the dipole and the ground plane could all be done in foil so could be stuck to the outside of the wood and painted over. No need to open up any wooden or composite structures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This idea is only for airplane with horizontal stabilizer fixed.

better use thin copper tube (better in vertical pole)
You can weld, paint, better electrical conductor, rigid straight (very important to maintain accurate measurements of the issuer pole)
in the horizontal pole, its possible put copper foild…

precaution with the hinged…. is very important control with the SWR instrument, <1,5 is good..

Measuring the vertical pole is very important.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions
Important:
change channelby frequency band aerea (118 – 136)
If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.

onli in the vertical pole, put longer and cutting, measuring, cutting, measuring, up to <1.5
if you cut a lot. put a new tube and begin again

important
cable and connector must be well mounted

Last Edited by celtico at 04 Apr 21:46
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

Neat.

Can anyone advise on suitable materials for a ground plane for a comant 122 aerial to be installed on the underside of our Robin Dr400 and also whether a ground plane has to be flat or whether it would be permissible for it to be bent upwards for part of its size following the interior fuselage contour ? I had hoped to have one 24 inches sq but that may not be possible any advice welcome.
Thanks

Paul.

Other
Sign in to add your message