Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any GA leisure flights near Bordeaux,France?

10 Posts

Hi all, I'm new here having received advice from a kind person on pprune's private flying forum. I am currently training for my PPL in Ireland and heading to Bordeaux in France in July for a week. I would love to do a spot of GA flying in the area with an instructor or qualified pilot at the controls as I am not certified yet. If I could log my flight time that would be a bonus but not really necessary as my real aim is to see Bordeaux and the general area from the sky. If anybody could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Anthony O'Brien

EICK

Hello Anthony,

I'm a private pilot based at Libourne (LFDI), just east of Bordeaux. I'd be very pleased to help if I can.

Libourne is a lovely airfield (hard and grass runways), located right in the middle of the vineyards of Pomerol and Saint Emilion, which you should definitely consider visiting if you're in the area for a week. A medieval town, Saint Emilion is about 10 minutes from the airfield by car, and very pleasant to stroll around, have lunch there, etc. Alternatively, there's a good restaurant at the aerodrome itself.

Here's a link to the club website

and a short video of the St Emilion area:

The Bay of Arcachon and the Dune de Pyla is also a very nice destination for a pleasure flight.

Please ask Peter for my email address if you'd like to get in touch...

Bordeaux

In the vicinity is the only place in France where you can fly and learn to fly a seaplane : Biscarosse. LFBS. Lots of things to see from both places, as Jojo said.

SE France

I've also planned my holiday in that area. I'm going to be staying near Bergerac. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a few hours of flying?

jkv
EHEH

Well, try Bergerac (LFBE), Belves (LFIB), St Foy La Grande (LFDF), or come and see me in Libourne (LFDI)

There really are lots of lovely places around here...

Bordeaux

@jojo maybe we should exchange details. I'll hope to make a few hours, but my time is limited. I'm only in france for a week. I would like to fly the Aquila once....

jkv
EHEH

@jkv Please ask Peter for my email address and feel free to get in touch. I'd be very happy to sort something out in the Aquila - it's proving a very popular aircraft with our students, but I prefer a Jodel D112

Bordeaux

Email sent to jkv

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would heartily recommend anybody considering flying around the general Bordeaux area to contact Jojo ( previous posts) of Libourne Aeroclub. Jojo took me on a round trip to Arcachon in the Aquila A210 recently and the whole experience amounted to a wonderfully memorable trip. Jojo's hospitality, professionalism and enthusiasm for flying was first class and I hope to fly into LFDI to meet up again soon.

EICK

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Anthony - I certainly did!

And I hope you'll let us know when you go solo. Soon, I'm sure - they train 'em well in Ireland, from what I saw!

Bordeaux
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message