Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any good and accessible German airports north of the Wall (Alps)?

Planning a trip to Switzerland in a few weeks and I am looking for a good airport to stop and refuel before hitting the Alps. Friedrichshafen would be perfect if we have some tailwind. But if not we would have to refuel further north.
Any good advice between Hof-Plauen/Nürnberg and Friedrichshafen? (Flying from Sweden)
What I am looking for is the following:

1. Hard runway >800 metres
  2. AVGAS
  3. Easy refuelling (preferably self-service or friendly airport staff)
  4. Restaurant on site (not a must)

I guess that most landing fees are reasonable if staying outside the large international airports.

ESSZ, Sweden

Don’t you need customs (well, actually immigration) too? That would severely limit your options.
Perhaps EDJA Memmingen would be ok? It is a former air base now struggling to get some commercial pax traffic.
What is your Swiss destination field?

Last Edited by at 17 Aug 11:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think Herzogenaurach might be more desireable than Nürnberg itself, with nice staff and a good italian restaurant direct at the airfield. Heubach is nice, too, but I haven’t eaten there (Achim can probably tell you more about Heubach). Schwenningen has a nice Museum at the airfield, nice people and self-service fuel, but I haven’t eaten there, either. Vilshofen is very scenic directly at teh Donau, yet farther east. I haven’t flown there, but you have plenty nice restaurants in the town nearby.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I don’t think that I will need customs since I am staying in Schengen (if that is still up and running?). The same goes for Switzerland AFAIK. But of course I am happy if anyone has any more recent info on that. Airports with customs tend to be rather boring though. ;)

We will fly to Buochs(LSZC) and then Samedan(LSZS).

ESSZ, Sweden

My home base EDML, Landshut, has all you need. If you need/want to stay over night / Landshut is a fantastic medieval city – with the world’s tallest brick structure, a church tower of 133 m. 10 km from the Airfield, by bus or taxi.

Refueling is by credit card, landing fees are moderate. Restaurant is good, Croatian food. They can also call the police for a passport check, if needed.

If it’s after September 12 and not on a Monday or Tuesday I can come out and assist you.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Aug 11:35

Schwäbisch Hall EDTY is a very friendly airport, IFR and a good Italian restaurant in about 500m walking distance.
http://www.edty.de/
http://www.eddh.de/info/lande_pireps.php?pi_icao=EDTY

Last Edited by europaxs at 17 Aug 11:28
EDLE

Airports with customs tend to be rather boring though. ;)

That’s why one should never fly to an airport, only

But I understand that here you just want a fuel stop. In that case you want a really simple quick and boring airport

I would not recommend Friedrichshafen. I have used it as a stop a few times and it took a long time – 1-2 hours. If you need a toilet, you have to leave airside and then go back through security, alongside any passengers, IME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot! It seems as though there are quite a few options for us then depending on the weather. Schwäbisch Hall seems to be more or less on our route, or possibly even Mengen EDTM if we can reach that far. Anyone has good (or bad)experiences at Mengen?

ESSZ, Sweden

If you make it to Mengen – then you will make it to EDNY too!
Mengen is a good airport too, i will ask a friend about the restaurant who was there three days ago.

Generally speaking, you do need customs before going to Switzerland.
This does in fact limit your choice and many of the above mentioned don’t have any provisions for customs clearance.

However, outbound from Germany to Switzerland, you don’t necessarily need customs clearance leaving Germany, as there is a special provision for that in German customs regulations. It’s not in the AIP though, so few people know about it.

Memmingen is cheaper and more friendly than Friedrichshafen. Donaueschingen would also be an option. Or Leutkirch.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Aug 12:44
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message