Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any good books on mountain-flying ?

I am wondering if you have some recommendations for books about mountain flying…

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

For general/historical interest, Alpine Pilot by Hermann Geiger, and Sparky Imeson’s “Mountain Flying”.

But Rwy20’s suggestion is the one to read if you just want to study for the French qualif montagne.

PJ

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I second Jacko on Sparky Imeson.

This article from a Telluride school is quite useful

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issuesAS00/basicsas00.html

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 16 Feb 20:31
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Flying-Revised-Sparky-Imeson/dp/1880568179

[URL trimmed to remove your amazon session data ]

I think it’s important to note that mountains are very different around the world, mostly due to different prevailing weather conditions. I usually fly in the mountains. IMO the difficulties concerning winds are exaggerated. It can be frightening if you have never experienced true 3D wind, but it’s not what statistically kills people. The important thing is to study the map (a good map), so you know the 3D structure. The danger is the weather. Low visibility and low ceiling can come in minutes. Low ceiling in mountainous terrain is a very different experience than in a flat terrain, and statistically, this is what kills most GA pilots (my observations from accident reports, often combined with reduced visibility, still perfectly good VFR conditions). Weather information and forecast is very important, much more so than in a flat terrain. Some places, high altitude can cause problems, but that is more of an equipment thing (aircraft performance and oxygen).

There is also all kinds of “odd” things that may happen, and you will never experience in the lowlands. An example is this resent helicopter emergency landing on a mountain top, resulting in a crash (no fatalities). Loss of power was caused by carburetor icing due to very local evaporation of snow on the mountain top (combined with a general possibility for carburetor icing).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message