Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ANY installed transponder must be turned ON

LeSving wrote:

If it were ADS-B – yes. But it’s not, its radar. At least here in Norway, and I would think, Switzerland, Austria and any other hilly places, flying VFR in G is below the radar for the most part, literally speaking.

Irrelevant to on-board traffic avoidance equipment. An increasing number of light aircraft are fitted with stuff like the Avidyne TAS600/605/610 for example, which are active traffic systems and rely on the transponders being ON. This equipment does not rely on the transponder being interrogated by a SSR (passive) but sends out the query itself (active)

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Jan 16:57
LFPT, LFPN

Airborne_Again wrote:

The UK has this already (“listening squawks”) but with mode A/C also. Of course with mode S it would work even better.

I have had it from Birmingham App when I took off from Halfpenny Green after hours on an IFR flightplan….I was squawking the Listening squawk and about to call them up….but they beat me to it….I assumed they had my tail number on their scope. I’ve also had the 1000 squawk many times I’m France.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I get 1000 on almost every IFR flight in France.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Jan 18:07
LFPT, LFPN

Maybe because you start your flights in France, whereas I almost never do that, so I enter France with the Eurocontrol-allocated squawk.

Do you really get a 1000 squawk allocated from Eurocontrol? I have never seen that. My only 1000 squawk was here and I got it from Bergerac tower. That was years ago however…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, you’re right…I only get the 1000 squawk if departing France

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

Maybe because you start your flights in France,

That is possible.

Peter wrote:

Do you really get a 1000 squawk allocated from Eurocontrol?

My understanding is that there are some countries in which squawks are coordinated by Eurocontrol. In that case, if you file using the Autorouter, you will receive your squawk by SMS. That is for example the case in Germany and Austria? Not so in France IIUC

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Jan 18:31
LFPT, LFPN

I always get the squawk from the Autorouter by telegram and sms, but it is never 1000.

My last 3 departures from France, all IFR, year 2016, were the normal squawks, not 1000.

Strange… but seemingly tangential to the topic. Possibly because I file for higher levels… in the UK you get all sorts if you don’t do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I always get the squawk from the Autorouter by telegram and sms,

Not sure you will when departing from France, from L2K for example. I never do in France.

LFPT, LFPN

AnthonyQ wrote:

I have had it from Birmingham App when I took off from Halfpenny Green after hours on an IFR flightplan….I was squawking the Listening squawk and about to call them up….but they beat me to it….I assumed they had my tail number on their scope.

Understanding that you were IFR and that I would not have been, I don’t think I’d ever want ATC to ‘reach out to me’ (in the latest sugar coated vernacular ) when outside of their zone of authority – because typically the reason I’m staying outside of their zone is so I don’t have to talk to them. Assuming you’re not already in their controlled airspace and not subject to their ATC authority, what function does this serve? I think listening in may beneficial in that you can hear traffic coming your way, but what benefit is there in ATC making unsolicited contact if they have no authority over you? Would they do that just to give you some advisory info that you may or may not find relevant?

I’m really not looking forward to the potential for this kind of development when ADS-B Out and broadcasting tail number becomes mandatory in the immediate area surrounding my base. I think if it were to occur, a sizeable fraction of people flying in my area would quit.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jan 19:49

Silvaire wrote:

I’m really not looking forward to the potential for this kind of development when ADS-B Out and broadcasting tail number becomes mandatory in the immediate area surrounding my base. I think if it were to occur, a sizeable fraction of people flying in my area would quit.

Why? This strikes me as a rather paranoid response. If it is related to cost, fine. But if related to worries about the state tracking you then really?

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Jan 20:04
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message