Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any N-reg pilots here, looking at EASA FCL?

It seems that most countries have gone for the derogation to April 2014, but currently almost nobody is doing any kind of license conversion.

I guess people are waiting to see what happens with the CBM IR...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or the cooperation agreement...

EGTK Oxford

IMHO that will never happen.

Well, not in any form that even remotely resembles what people are expecting i.e. a straight paper swap.

The least you will have is a flight test, plus some exams. Very generally, around the world, validation involves an air law exam and a flight test, and maybe other stuff.

So, how many hours do you think you will need to pass the "JAA IR" initial test? I mean the one with NDBs etc, not the one done by a certain very handy FTO in Spain

Now, compare that figure with the current FAA IR to JAA IR minimum dual time of 15hrs.

The difference is probably negative

If the CBM IR comes along, and is as appears to be currently proposed, you are looking at almost the same picture.

But if the CBM IR comes along, and is as appears to be currently proposed, you are looking at almost the same picture (10hrs min) as the current FAA IR to JAA IR conversion (15hrs min).

The real difference is the exams (7 reduced to [nobody knows what, perhaps 2]).

But the real work in the 7 exams is not swatting up the exams from the online question bank. It is the ground school FTO "business practice" of making you hand in a load of homework before they let you sit the exams, which wastes a great deal of time, and the fixed CAA exam timetable, and some other bits.

Administrator

It seems that most countries have gone for the derogation to April 2014

I have seen this term (derogation) before, but would you mind expanding on it, or giving your view Peter? I know the dictionary definition, but wasnt clear really what it means in practical terms for people flying on a N Reg here in the UK.

My situation is I have a EASA PPL/IMC, a Piggy back FAA PPL with the extra radio licence to fly N-reg outside the UK, but in the next year or so I will make a decision to hopefully start an EASA CBM/IR course (the preferred option) or do an FAA/IR.

Very briefly, the EASA "N-reg screwing" proposal, which is now law, which requires the pilot(s) of an aircraft whose "operator" is based in the EU, to have EASA papers, in addition to any State of Registry papers which they currently need under ICAO.

So the pilot of an N-reg whose "operator" is based in the EU, who currently needs to have FAA papers (say a PPL/IR and an FAA medical) will need to get EASA versions (say a PPL/IR and an EASA medical) as well.

Due to political resistance, EASA has delayed the implementation till a certain date, which varies, but which most EU countries have set for April 2014.

More notes here.

Administrator

Thanks Peter, I will have a read through that.

Peter, I gather that the FAA is very annoyed that EASA is doing this so still have some hope that they may require FAA IRs to do an annual IPC in order to use in Europe.

EGTK Oxford

In 2003 I got an FAA/PPL in an administrative process, based on my EU-PPL from 1992. Never did anything further with that FAA document other than doing some VFR flying in an N-reg aircraft up until 2005.

In 2006 did my CPL/IR/ME (EU).

My question: Can I legally fly an N-reg SE aircraft VFR and IFR, here in Europe?

Thanks..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I think you need an FAA IR to fly n-reg anywhere under IFR.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, you need either a full FAA IR or an FAA validation of your european IR.

In addition, your piggyback FAA PPL from 2003 is no longer valid, because you changed underlIng licenses in the meantime.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message