Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any reason NOT to remove an ADF than has gone u/s?

I know what was said in the video (what else should they say?), but if an ADF/NDB approach is considered safe, then using the GPS is safer. Everybody knows that, and there is really no convincing argument against doing it. I even did it on my IFR checkride 15 years ago: I made a direct to the NDB and then I pretended that I was following the needle and correcting for the wind. Of course I watched the bearing on the GPS: The examiner smiled, and later he said: “that’s how I would have done it”.

Of course you could do it with the CDI too, or even fly it with the flight director. It’s more important that you know what you are doing.

dylan_22 wrote:

Of course you could do it with the CDI too,

Using the bearing pointer instead of the CDI when both use the same nav source seems to me like a bad case of aerial masochism!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

;-) Of course, but it’s a great way to practice the NDB procedure, and I think it’s fun too.

The best way to fly any ndb procedure using a GPS navigator is to use the procedure in the database, nothing else. It is simpler, and less error prone. And in a glass cockpit, with the auto-slewing HSI, not a RMI displayed.

I actually believe that they really meant what they said in the video – this is what you do to practice a bearing pointer approach. Why anyone would want to do thatif they fly a modern aircraft I have np idea – probably nostalgia.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 15 Mar 21:23
Biggin Hill

The best way to fly any ndb procedure using a GPS navigator is to use the procedure in the database

And if there isn’t one then use the OBS mode. That’s how I always flew NDB/VOR approaches. DCT [navaid] and twiddle the OBS bearing for the outbound and then back inbound, in NAV and with a bit of HDG in the middle to do the outer turn.

A bit more work perhaps but at least one is flying the published plate exactly as it is.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Looking for the reference, I did a google on the exact phrase and it’s quite amusing where it turns up – all over the place. No wonder most people can’t find the latest EASA reg for anything!

This is one, but it says it is a “draft”.

This is a Word doc and is from 2012.

Agreed. What about this version, Peter? Appears to be final, not draft.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/commission-regulation-eu-no-8002013

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks for all the feedback. Would still like to know what Cirrus pilots “really” do for something like Losinj. I suspect it is exactly what is suggested in the last posts by Cobalt and Peter.

I think I’ll pull the ADF (so I can reuse the CB) and if I ever need to do an approach into Losinj or some such, deal with the situation at the time. It sounds from the thread like most of these are now in the UK.

An increasing number of NDB approaches are being modified to NDB (GPS) so that they can legally be flown with GPS from the navdata, or getting an RNAV approach making the NDB approach superfluous for many (most??). It is certainly just a matter of time until Croatia does the same.

LSZK, Switzerland

Where are these approved overlay approaches (in Europe)?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think it may depend on the GPS. For example the KLN94 has never had any usable overlays. For some airports it has a few segments of the approach, never any arcs, and I found it is probably dangerous to try to fly these in NAV mode. So I never used any of those “overlays”. But I am told a GNS430 has a lot more. In addition the GNS boxes and successors have RNAV SIDs/STARs which the KLN94 does not but that’s a side issue.

As regards “approved” overlays I don’t think any exist in Europe. Well not officially. I once got an RNAV SID at (IIRC) Zurich LSZH and when I said I am not RNAV equipped ATC just said “fine, just fly the overlay” No idea what that meant but the KLN94 does contain all the waypoints of these RNAV SIDs/STARs even though it doesn’t have the whole tracks. So… different shades of grey.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

As regards “approved” overlays I don’t think any exist in Europe. Well not officially. I once got an RNAV SID at (IIRC) Zurich LSZH and when I said I am not RNAV equipped ATC just said “fine, just fly the overlay” No idea what that meant but the KLN94 does contain all the waypoints of these RNAV SIDs/STARs even though it doesn’t have the whole tracks. So… different shades of grey.

I believe Germany also have a number of official overlay SIDs and STARs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message