Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any tips for Speyer or Straubing?

Heading to both next week.

EGTK Oxford

Speyer: the airport has no IFR approaches, but is otherwise well equipped (long tarmac runway, runway lights, PAPI). They are very anal about their Platzrunde, for noise abatement reasons, so be sure you fly that exactly as depicted on the VAC. The main parking (and refuelling etc.) is east of the runway. West of the threshold for runway 16, there is a small cafè, and if you parked there, you could actually walk into the city centre in no more than 15 minutes. But as you'll be parking to the east, a taxi is probably better. Fees are slightly on the high side for what is a VFR-only field, but still reasonable. Bring along something lika a noise certificate if you have that. The city is pleasant enough and has a very famous cathedral. Also, there is a Technikmuseum with lots of aviation-related stuff just north of the airport.

If you happen to fly to Mannheim EDFM instead, give me a shout and I'll be there and buy your lunch.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Straubing: IFR (GPS) approach, landing fees typical for the type of airport (€ 20 for RR22), good restaurant, jetfuel and avgas, home to MT Prop, Avionik Straubing and a Piper Service Center (Rieger). A taxi is necessary to get to the nearby city, which is not spectacular but nice for a day. Noise sensitive area near the traffic pattern have a good look at the VAC here too

And Straubing: The runway is close to the river Danube, at some time, there can be flocks of seagulls on and around the tarmac. I had a very nasty birdstrike there with a C421 when a seagull went right through one of the propellers just on touchdown. No damage to the propeller, but large parts of the aeroplane were covered with minced seagull. What a mess to clean up.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks guys. Bosco, Mannheim will be my bad weather alternative so will let you know.

What next, nearly got done by a pigeon in Schwabish Hall last week. Was sitting right where I planned to rotate. Didn't hit but I was worried.

And once again with Speyer, need to buy German VFR plates. Very annoying.

EGTK Oxford

No, I can send you the ones you need as pictures, just send your eMail

And Straubing: The runway is close to the river Danube, at some time, there can be flocks of seagulls on and around the tarmac. I had a very nasty birdstrike there with a C421 when a seagull went right through one of the propellers just on touchdown. No damage to the propeller, but large parts of the aeroplane were covered with minced seagull. What a mess to clean up.

I was there three days ago and after parking on the ramp for two hours I had to wash the whole airplane, it was almost COVERED with birdshixx! Now that doesn't hapen often, so don't worry :-)

Straubing does not publish the weather through the usual systems so there is no METAR available. But you can call +499429948420 and listen to the ATIS recording.

There is also a webcam

Do not expect IFR vectors. I had to fly the full GPS approach procedure two days ago and it is rather tight if you go fast.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Speyer is great. Especially when you turn base and you're nose to nose with a departing 747....

Don't worry it's bolted down securely ;)

EDHS, Germany

Great. Thanks for the tips. Better take some paper to Straubing. Alexis, I have asked Peter to pass on my email.

EGTK Oxford
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message