Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody using Camguard? (merged)

Hello,
I see Camguard has some sort of approval from FAA, but this is not for turbocharged engines. Are there any real cons for using Camguard with a turbocharged engine, or is it just a paper excercise anyway?

Ed?

G

Last Edited by GaryStorm at 28 Mar 06:46

See around post 65

I am not sure the “legal” situation for turbocharged engines has changed. But Camguard is still widely used in these. No certification is needed anyway for oil additives, AFAIK.

Maybe @ed2 can post an update?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GaryStorm wrote:

I see Camguard has some sort of approval from FAA, but this is not for turbocharged engines. Are there any real cons for using Camguard with a turbocharged engine, or is it just a paper excercise anyway?

CAMGUARD was pending some years ago for turbocharged engines. AFAIK it is now approved. I use it since three years trouble free. But I don´t know if it really helps.

Berlin, Germany

Hi. I got some of camguards and I’m going to add it to my io-320. I have aeroshell 15w50 inside that have already LW 16702 itself. It is something agains camguard?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

I don’t think there is anything negative about Camguard.

There is a sub-group of pilots who believe that all additives are just fakes. They are unfortunately correct that historically most of them turned out to be fakes. Mike Busch once wrote a great article on this. But Camguard is real.

Administrator

Some say that Camguard is unnecessary when used with 15w/50 which offers the same benefits.

Egnm, United Kingdom

I doubt Camguard will make a difference between a regularly run engine reaching 2k hrs or not. It halves the wear rate of soft metals, but there is plenty of metal in an engine to last 2k hrs. However few engines run regularly so in practice it often will make a difference, due to suppression of corrosion.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message