Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

APP to transmit your position via 3G

I have AirnavPro just to get the ICAO map “online”. I can’t see that app being used for any other purpose.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I can’t see that app being used for any other purpose.

Apparently you have not explored all of the ANP features. But you should not just summarily dismiss information offered to you…

That said I think it is a VERY bad idea to base a traffic service on a Mobile phone datalink, so in my book this is a useless gadget.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Aug 09:49
LFPT, LFPN

And it has a Live Tracking service

No idea how it works, though, because as you can see, I keep it off.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

But you should not just summarily dismiss information offered to you…

Well, the app hardly works at all on my Android devices. Way too stuttering and lagging to be practically usable for anything except showing the ICAO map (where you don’t have to do anything except zooming). It has an “gyro display”, pushing it and the it say “attitude reading not yet implemented, pitch and roll are fixed at 0 degrees”.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, the app hardly works at all

I think they have implemented way too many useless features that take up space and CPU cycles, the app is not user-friendly, and it takes way too long to initialise (on an iPad)

LFPT, LFPN

If you have an iPhone there is a built in App from Apple called “Friends” – you can allow others to see your location. As long as you have a mobile data connection that would do the trick.

As said before Airnavigation Pro has the tracking feature built in. It worked ok when I tested it some time ago (3G coverage is usually better around densely populated areas and vv).

As a side note because ANP got some bad rep here: Over the years I have come to like the app. Turning off all the bling bling and just using the basic functions as a backup including ICAO map overlay works well on my old iPad and new Phone.

I also have and highly recommend the Delorme InReach SE (Peter mentioned it) that works with Iridium Satellites – worldwide coverage for tracking points and messaging.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Get a satellite tracker like the Spot Messenger (no speed and altitude, but position reports every 5 minutes), the Delorme Inreach device, the ADL or the Iridium Go.
A Spot Messenger is very cheap. They all come with webpages that you can share with your friends and thus show them where you are.

You can take it a step further. See: http://www.aeroplusaviation.com/aircraft-tracking

EDLE, Netherlands
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message