Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approaches to minima (and departure minima)

Because this is a civilised, friendly forum where you are likely to get an interesting discussion with useful input from a range of practitioners – and it seems to have worked!

Yes – exactly.

So 400m applies to totally everybody in light GA, by the looks of it…

Oddly enough EGKA does operate “low visibility procedures” but I have never met anyone who knew you need an operator qualification also to get the 250m capability.

A 250m takeoff is quite interesting. You see a very constant view ahead – just a 250m piece of the runway – and the airspeed builds up and when it gets to 70 you pull up and it is instant IMC. Nothing hard about it but wouldn’t fancy doing it if the vis was due to heavy rain or snow…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

So, is Part-NCO compliance required for private flights?

Yes, because part-NCO is the ops regulation for private flights with EASA aircraft! What regulations do you follow if not part-NCO? Or do you only fly experimentals or N-reg?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Nov 08:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Oddly enough EGKA does operate “low visibility procedures” but I have never met anyone who knew you need an operator qualification also to get the 250m capability.

I guess that’s because

1. part-NCO is a rather recent thing for most of us.
  2. the requirement for LVO approval is one of the few areas where part-NCO is more restrictive than (most) previous national regulations.
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What are the requirements for LVO approval to bring down the minima to 250m ?

EDLE, Netherlands

From what I understand commercially (I hold no CPL ticket) would one not also need a second alternate when 1 hour before to one hour after scheduled arrival at destination the minima (only RVR for the ILS, but ceilings and RVR for NPA’s) won’t be met according to the TAF’s? This is what I was thought during my IR…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Or do you only fly experimentals or N-reg?

Well, well above 1/2 of the European IFR GA community is N-reg

I wonder if Brexit has an impact on this? Are N-regs captured by the wording used in EASA FCL i.e. “residing … in the Community”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You will find that by Low Vis procedures they are referring to ground movements not the takeoff side ie they will give progressive taxi instructions and request you announce landed or gone around etc.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Nov 09:26
EGTK Oxford

I’m bit confused. Do I understand correctly that for EASA registered light GA aircraft 400m visibility is absolute minimum for take off? Or I got something wrong …

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Do I understand correctly that for EASA registered light GA aircraft 400m visibility is absolute minimum for take off?

Yes. For any aircraft subject to Part NCO or NCC so also includes aircraft based in EU on N reg etc.

EGTK Oxford

AeroPlus wrote:

What are the requirements for LVO approval to bring down the minima to 250m ?

You should contact your local CAA for that.

But basically the french LVO approval guide I have, says you have to undergo a theory and pratical course using a FSTD.

For a LVTO approval with RVR > 150 m, a practical exam is not necessary but the training course should be recorded as successful.

There is no periodic training required but the guide says that approved operator should take-off once a year with the lowest approved RVR.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 01 Nov 10:25
Sign in to add your message