Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approaches to minima (and departure minima)

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

From what I understand commercially (I hold no CPL ticket) would one not also need a second alternate when 1 hour before to one hour after scheduled arrival at destination the minima (only RVR for the ILS, but ceilings and RVR for NPA’s) won’t be met according to the TAF’s? This is what I was thought during my IR…

That used to be the case (in most countries, I guess), but according to part-NCO the forecast for the destination doesn’t matter (unless it is so good that you don’t need an alternate at all). The requirement is that the alternate is “weather-permissible” which means that the WX should be at or above the operational minima at the time you would use the alternate. A second alternate is optional and does not have to be “weather-permissible”.

I think I’ll keep to the planning minima in part-CAT…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Emir wrote:

Do I understand correctly that for EASA registered light GA aircraft 400m visibility is absolute minimum for take off?

Not an absolute minimum, but you need a LVO approval to go lower.

So, any Dutch IFR rated pilots that have such a LVO approval?

EDLE, Netherlands

Do I understand correctly that for EASA registered light GA aircraft 400m visibility is absolute minimum for take off?

JasonC

Yes. For any aircraft subject to Part NCO or NCC so also includes aircraft based in EU on N reg etc.

Airborne_Again

Not an absolute minimum, but you need a LVO approval to go lower.

Thanks both for replies. This opens another question: How to obtain LVO approval?

Btw As you maybe read in one of my previous posts, few days ago I was cleared for TO by ATC when vis was 300m. Were they obliged to refuse my request until vis is 400m?

Last Edited by Emir at 01 Nov 14:42
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Btw As you maybe read in one of my previous posts, few days ago I was cleared for TO by ATC when vis was 300m. Were they obliged to refuse my request until vis is 400m?

They don’t know what minima apply to you, so it’s up to you to decline.

LVO approval question remains open.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

LVO approval question remains open.

Guillaume wrote:

You should contact your local CAA for that.

I think this says it all :-)

LFPT, LFPN

CAA in state of registry or in state of departing airport?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I suppose it would be the country of residence of the operator.

LFPT, LFPN

How exactly is that worded? “Community”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message