Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approaches to minima (and departure minima)

Peter wrote:

We did this a while ago regarding arrivals and the approach ban, where no RVR was reported, and that IIRC was different i.e. the ATC-reported vis was applicable.

Yep and there is a table and a formula explaining which is the correction coefficient applicable to convert the met vis into CMV in GM4 NCO.OP.110

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Just saying that the min RVR is actually 800m unless you have a coupled Autopilot
Granted most have this, but I wonder what coupled means… for example in the C82T in my club, the A/P does not descend on the glideslope

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

A pilot assessment can replace reported met vis, but not reported RVR.

So with a departure in say 200m, at an airport where no RVR is reported, the pilot cannot be prosecuted (unless there is a witness in the cockpit, presumably).

Especially as with vis anywhere near 400m the tower may not see the runway at all.

That is very interesting!

We did this a while ago regarding arrivals and the approach ban, where no RVR was reported, and that IIRC was different i.e. the ATC-reported vis was applicable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Not sure allowed in Europe any more. Reported RVR is usually constraining.

Correct. A pilot assessment can replace reported met vis, but not reported RVR.

AMC1 NCO.OP.110 Aerodrome operating minima — aeroplanes and helicopters
TAKE-OFF OPERATIONS
(a) General:
(1) Take-off minima should be expressed as visibility (VIS) or runway visual range (RVR) limits, taking into account all relevant factors for each aerodrome planned to be used and aircraft characteristics. Where there is a specific need to see and avoid obstacles on departure and/or for a forced landing, additional conditions, e.g. ceiling, it should be specified.
(2) When the reported meteorological visibility is below that required for take-off and RVR is not reported, a take-off should only be commenced if the pilot-in- command can determine that the visibility along the take-off runway/area is equal to or better than the required minimum.
(3) When no reported meteorological visibility or RVR is available, a take-off should only be commenced if the pilot-in-command can determine that the RVR/VIS along the take-off runway/area is equal to or better than the required minimum.

At least for N-reg it is the FAA.

EGTK Oxford

Aviathor wrote:

I suppose it would be the country of residence of the operator.

This is surprising – I would expect other options (CAA of country of departure airport or CAA of country of registry).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Flying single engine or multi-engine aircraft involves taking a certain risk for granted. Some are accepting and at ease with more risk than others.

I take off in low visibility and of course hope that the engine will not quit right at that moment. If it would happen, you all will be discussing the case here on this forum. It would be a disaster if the engine did right after rotation in a single engine aircraft, but probably also be a hard situation to manage in a twin-engine aircraft.

It is the same story with night flying single engine aircraft, flying over water, etc. We all accept in one way or the other that flying small piston aircraft comes with more risk than flying on board an airliner.

If others are on board, such as passengers, family members, the wife, then I explain as good as I can what I want to do (low visibility departure) and give them the option to stay and wait or go.

EDLE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

It is the time window during which an engine failure would end badly.

Which in a single means departing in fog equals no options should the engine quit.

I have done it but we do need to be realistic that in that scenario you are entirely relying on the engine not stopping.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Nov 09:58
EGTK Oxford

how do you make the decision to go no go in an SEP?

It is the time window during which an engine failure would end badly.

There are plenty of them in flying though usually they are quite short.

I would not do it in a rented plane

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@LFHN I would use the logic of the Net Take Off Flight Plath for multi engine operations, which suggests in the case of a single engine maintaining VMC until obstacles in the departure area have been cleared if you are not able to develop a NTOFP after engine failure, which by definition you can’t in a single.

If there are no obstacles I would suggest 800’ and two miles which is typical low vis for a bad weather circuit.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message