Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are some airports intentionally pricing out light GA?

This thread picks up from the 2016 fly-in one

eddh.de has many old reports, but if you look through the PIREPs of the last 8 days you find many interesting ones. Also the bigger airortds have many newer ones, too. TIVAT will not have many … for obvious reasons

That’s because a Cirrus is so expensive to operate. The cost overall of airport charges are a fraction of that total cost.

I bet it’s cheaper to operate than a 210. Except the expensive data subscriptions, but the rest ist more simple than a 210.

But it’s a decisison each one of us to make. I find it strange to oper ate such an aircraft (210, TB20, Cirrus, you name it) and then NOT go to a place because the “landing fee is high”. Makes no sense. Especially when you do 5 such flights every year … ,

C210_Flyer wrote:

06.10.14 Brett Langevad

Peter it was June 2014 relatively new.

Lets face it traveling can have hassles. Especially in countries where service is an alien word and concept. I really think people should work for tips as I think they would be more engaged for a smooth successful outcome.

KHTO, LHTL

Slovenia and Croatia are normally excellent. That’s part of why they get the traffic. Interesting that Montenegro is still “backward”. Tirana (Albania) was quite a challenge too, and very expensive (c. €200) but that was in 2007 or so.

TIVAT will not have many … for obvious reasons

Distance from N Europe must be the main one. The country is scenic enough.

One day we should do a fly-in to Greece

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Tips, really ? That’s the problem, not the solution.

This summer I have spent three weeks in Japan, a country where a waiter or taxi driver will react very offended if you offer them a tip. I got to know a guy who owns a cafe in Kyotango and I talked about that with him. He found the (western) idea that someone would need to give a tip to receive good service very strange. Original answer: “But when you pay for a service, why should you pay again?”. Ethics unknown to large parts of the world.

We could learn a LOT from the Japanes culture, I am convinced, and it really feels so good to be in a place that’s not as corrupt as large parts of the Europe, especially eastern and southeastern Europe.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Nov 10:07

Flyer59 wrote:

I find it strange to oper ate such an aircraft (210, TB20, Cirrus, you name it) and then NOT go to a place because the “landing fee is high”. Makes no sense. Especially when you do 5 such flights every year … ,

The idea is you go to someplace that you find just as interesting that wants you. One way I feel wanted is by not being hassled (smooth operations) and relatively reasonable cost.

I have a friend who told me the reason their landing fees are so high was because they didnt want GA. Their method of discouraging someone from using their facilities is to price them out. Yes I can afford to pay their landing fee (400 Euros) once or even 20 times a year but I dont feel wanted, so why should I stuff money into their pockets?

KHTO, LHTL

If I visit a country I do not judge the whole country by how some bureaucrats at the airport behave.

If THAT was the criteria I would certainly never go to the USA again, and that’s my favourite country together with Japan, now.
The unfriendliness I have experienced from TSA officials and Airline staff in the USA is beyond imagination. If corruption and bureaucracy put me off that much I could never have a company in CZ, never go to Greece or Italy … or many other countries. Defiitely not tu Hungary, for other reasons too.

But I do not judge the whole country by that.

I would – of course – never fly to a place with a landing fee of € 400 either. We do not have to discuss that!

Peter wrote:

What year do these reports relate to?

Mine for Tivat was Fall 2014.

Peter wrote:

but really it was due to his crap planning.

I plead guilty. I very seldomly send a 20 page questionnaire to an airport by email, fax, and smoke signals. I only do a quick phone call or email asking whether it’s ok to come and park.

LSZK, Switzerland

Checking opening hours?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message