Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are we only airplane enthusiasts or also motor enthusiasts?

I’ve been thinking of asking this question for a while and this discussion started it a bit, so I would like to continue.

Are the people here only into airplanes or also into other motor sports? From the above mentioned thread I see that at least some of us are into motorbiking. What about cars and race driving?

I personally like driving, I’ve done a couple of trainings (rally driving, race track events, driving with my car on the Nordschleife, an F1 driving event, drifting) but I don’t have the time and resources to get it to a more serious level (e.g. buying a designated car, driving weekly, etc.), as some other (non-pilots) do. I own a sports sedan from the Bavarians and I enjoy driving it, although I have to be very careful with the speed tickets around here

I am just getting into motorbiking, having done about 150 km at the moment and getting my license is one of my motor projects for the year. I still cannot tell how much I will be riding around but at least I will know how it is.

So what about you?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Can’t say I’m a motor enthusiast. Driving an electric car (never mind my little eUp has more low end torque than a 3L V6 ). I also have an oldish BMW. Liked to follow F1 a loong time ago, and watch Rally/cross from time to time when I got nothing better to do, but cars are mostly a practical necessity, and electric cars are better than gasoline/diesel in that respect.

I “discovered” Red Bull air races half a year ago, and no motorsport (car/bike) can even start to compare with that. It is really interesting to follow, but it’s impossible to participate in any of it, because there are no low end series or anything. It’s purely a spectator thing, a circus with no grass root industry or “movement”, so it could simply disappear at any time.

I also have a boat, and like boats better than cars for recreation.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Driving an electric car

I haven’t driven one but they have what to offer. Formula e is a good start and I think in the next years we will see a lot of development. I like petrol cars but driving a good electric one is definitely on my radar as well.

LeSving wrote:

I also have a boat, and like boats better than cars for recreation.

Perfect addition, a thing I would include in the same bunch of hobbies/interests. Maybe a good idea for my next vacation: get a recreational license.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 18 Apr 09:07
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Endure bikes, road bikes, sports cars, boats, planes… The lot – bit sad really :-)

W.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

bit sad really

Why?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Only joking Vladimir!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Only joking Vladimir!

Because I am really sad – no boat, no race car, what can you do

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

To answer your original question, I have long been an active motor racer and classic car enthusiast and have met many fellow aircraft owners and pilots who share my passion. Maybe it’s a case of a shared enthusiasm for anything that produces above average amounts of horsepower and dB’s.
I certainly find that the engineering disciplines inherent in the aviation world are transferable to and very useful in the world of motorsport, for instance correct wire locking techniques and torque values for bolts of different sizes and materials. I also found myself using aircraft style check lists when prepping a car for the race track and even checking oil temp and pressures down the straights of a circuit religiously during a race.
Classic cars and aeroplanes seem to go together, there is usually a collector’s car presence at airshows, the most obvious of which are Goodwoods’ meetings.

I am not into any competitive motorsports, but definitely enjoy motorbiking. Here is my steed in the middle of a 4000 km trip from Prague to St. Petersburg and back.

My current idea is to get a very light motorbike (50-80 cm³ engine, <75 kg dry weight) and modify it so it could be quickly taken apart into several pieces of ~40 kg or less, which could then be loaded into the back of my aircraft. Among the potential candidates are Suzuki RG50/GN50/GT50/GT80, Simson S51 and maybe a few others, but I don’t have enough experience to do it all on my own. Anyone interested in doing the same?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I’m not into competition with vehicles but more generally enjoy almost anything that moves. After some hard lessons, I’ve grown away from hobby cars because of their size & weight, complexity and the expenses involved. Simple aircraft and motorcycles are fun for me.

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message