Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Arrogant Bose (broken plastic parts, and how to get them repaired)

Can anyone suggest a quick (!!) way to get a Bose-X headset checked/repaired? Mine has started to behave a bit strangely, i.e. low volume and distorted speech. Btw, this could be either UK or US (I'll be over there in couple of weeks).

Headset Services at Shoreham EGKA.

But give them a call first. They did not want to touch my Bose A20 when that recall came up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I need to let off the steam somewhere. I am using both Lightspeed (in my TB20) and Bose X and Bose A20 (in a helicopter). One of the Bose X headset suffered relatively minor injury – broken plastic part, which holds the earpiece. I tried to find replacement parts online to find they only sell the cushions for earpiece and headband as spare parts. The only option to get this repaired is to send the complete headset to UK repair centre even though it is super easy repair involving unscrewing two plus two screws. I would say it can be done in five minutes maximum. So instead of shipping 25grams plastic worth few pennies I am required to post the whole expensive headset both ways. This is not very ecological behaviour by the way. Anyone here with access to Bose parts???

This is the headset in question, temporarily repaired (the greenish plastic part holding the earpiece glued together with two pack epoxy). The headset used for passengers only of course.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Aren’t all Bose headsets more than a couple of years old glued together? Excellent electronics, crap hardware, in my experience.

Give me DCs with Richard Holder’s conversion any time.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The helicopter came with these so we keep them. And yes, you are right, the mechanical part of it is rather weak. Not only the frame is fragile, also the cushions wear off extremely quickly as those are being pressed together all the time when not in use due to clamping force of the headband. Not a very wise solution at all. So you need to keep replacing them otherwise you do not get a good seal over your ears and the ANR effectiveness is badly hurt. By the way Bose A20 is significantly better ANR compared to Bose X.

Never heard of Richard Holder’s conversion. Any link?

LKHK, Czech Republic

I am now experiencing a faulty headset jack on an A20 for the second time in 3 years. Despite always carrying it in its case and handling it with care.

The only option each time is to buy a complete electronics kit with volume control and a new cable attached. Tried to have it repaired at a Swiss avionics shop the first time, but they charged more than the whole assembly costs and did a shitty job that lasted for about two months.

It should be possible to change just the cord (if the construction is the same as on Bose X where the cord inside the box is connected via connector)

The electronics box with the cord connector partially disconnected (after too strong pull on a cord by passenger). Another easy to repair fault.

LKHK, Czech Republic

But they don’t sell just the cord?

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 07 Feb 16:40

I think it is the same case as with the plastic parts. They sell just the costly items. Crap product, crap company.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Bose is a crap company for sure. They shafted me over years ago with their defective microphones. Unlimited replacements in the USA but none in Europe.

But they have IMHO the best performing headsets on the market. Especially the A20 which nothing gets near. That is also something which is hard to understand (it can’t be rocket science) but maybe they hold important patents.

DCs take much more abuse but clamp your head like a vice.

I am just really careful about briefing passengers when using the headsets. I tell them they are 1000 quid each (which isn’t far off) and maybe it makes a difference. But no way could one use them in any “club” environment or when taking ad-hoc passengers for flights.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message