Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen E5 or KAS297B - what's right for a KAP150?

10 Posts

I’ve discussed to Straubing to get a vertical speed selector like KAS 297B. He offered instead an Aspen E1000.
I think an Aspen E5 could be fine too and that for the half price.
Remember I wanted to get a pre-selector for vertical speed like KAS. I got the information the Aspen can only select the alitude
for climbing and descending.
My question now, how manage the Aspen unit
the VS ( Vertical Speed, feet/min)
for my KAP 150 in case I have selected the altitude only ?
Best regards
Thomas

Berlin, Germany

With only target altitude selected you have to do climb/descent manually, usually only getting automatic level at target altitude

Last Edited by at 28 Dec 08:35

The two known avionics installers here on EuroGA are @a_and_c and @garryiae.

Is the KAP150 at all capable of flying a VS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes it is.
@Thomas: Why are you not asking Aspen?

I have a KFC 150 and have just upgraded it with a used KAS279B for alt preselect, bought it from another client of Avionik Straubing for 1500€. The KAP doesn’t have a flight director but I believe it can do VS hold.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Why are you not asking Aspen?

More objective view here?

Administrator

I would always go for the simplest solution. Why spend extra thousands for something which will give you nothing extra operationally, and in addition gives you a new product which has not been tested in the market for some time? Remember Aspen had massive reliability issues with the EFD1000 which didn’t get sorted for some years. Somebody will often try to sell you something you don’t need.

Administrator

@peter I do not agree with the following:

Remember Aspen had massive reliability issues with the EFD1000 which didn’t get sorted for some years.

I have had two times now failures on my Garmin GTN 750 (since summer 2012), the first covered by guarantee the second now leading to an exchange of the unit.

Hopefully the Aspen was all the time working very well and after Garmin has delivered the unit back with a softwarerelase not supporting the actual data format of the Jeppesen charts any more and without a basemap or anything installed (it was on the actual state before) it was good to have navdata, obstacles and terrain on the Aspen. Great backup.

EDDS , Germany

I have 5 years of reliable Aspen performance on 2 aircraft. The Aspen is a vey simple solution and gives me 90% of G1000 pfd – even better in some respects.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

I do not have an opinion on the reliability of Aspen products but I can certainly say that it is a dishonest company that does not deserve trust.
It sells its products outside the network of official resellers through intermediaries such as ‘Dog Bone Holding’. When initially inquired about it, Aspen representative assured that it s “one of the best installers in Europe”.
Sometime later, when it turned out that Aspen customer spend over 20000 Euros on equipment which could not be installed Aspen CFO stated that the transaction was carried out by one of the of Aspen official dealers and washed his hands of the whole affair.

LFCL, France
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message