Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC making use of the flight plan equipment list for routing?

This has come up over many years in various ATC forums and the general reply was NO for Europe, but YES for a few other places e.g. Australia.

I have just read in the US AOPA magazine that the ATC facilities there are or will be doing it.

Otherwise, I have to wonder why we have this complex system of declaring equipment carried when nobody actually cares.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The equipment is evaluated at the flight plan filing stage. In Eurocontrol, there are rules that require equipment code Y (8.33kHz radio), RNP, etc. Eurocontrol have recently expanded the options for airspace owners to enforce aircraft equipment.

If you depart on a flight, you are required to carry the declared equipment. I read about a private pilot that was prosecuted in Holland for not having on board what was declared in the flight plan.

So yes, the answer clearly is that ATC make use of the equipment.

On the other hand mistakes happen. The other day I was vectored for a VOR approach instead of RNAV because ATC assumed I was not RNAV approach capable although it was in the flight plan.

LFPT, LFPN

the answer clearly is that ATC make use of the equipment.

Not really. No more than getting a car driver to certify, before starting the engine, that he has a driving license. It makes it slightly easier to prosecute:

I read about a private pilot that was prosecuted in Holland for not having on board what was declared in the flight plan.

Exactly… it is an entrapment mechanism for law enforcement, or perhaps, more charitably, a way to remind pilots of what they need to carry.

because ATC assumed I was not RNAV approach capable although it was in the flight plan.

I have been told that European ATC cannot see the equipment list you filed.

Administrator

In the US, the ATC computer system is referred to as ERAM. ERAM will reject a flightplan if certain equipment is not specified in the flightplan. So to fly an RNAV SID/STAR, they require RNAV 1 and most will further state the aircraft needs to be equipped with either DME/DME/INS or GPS. Most will indicate they are Turbojet only. So a PBN code of D2 or D4 is required. So is the following equipment codes in 10a: R is required for any PBN code; G is required if D2 is used; D and I is required if D4 is used, and the aircraft type code would have to be for a jet if Turbojet was required. All of these items are in the flightplan and if there are any missing, then the flightplan will be rejected by ERAM. On the other hand, if the aircraft is G equipped, it does not need to be S1 or S2 to fly an RNAV approach. Also the approach is not part of the flightplan anyway. Not mandated, but requested by ATC if the aircraft is ADS-B Out equipped, the value for CODE/ and SUR/. The code value is the 24 bit ICAO aircraft ID broadcast by Mode S transponders and ADS-B Out systems and it is in hexadecimal format of 6 characters, The SUR/ value is either 260B and/or 282B if the ADS-B Out is 1090 MHz and/or 978 MHz and complies with the 2020 airspace mandate. These codes are used to permit routing in areas where there are radar outages or the route is in an area that does not enjoy radar coverage. PBN codes of RNAV 2 (C1 thru C4) are used to obtain routing on T and Q routes which are RNAV routes instead of Victor or Jet routes which are based on VOR. PBN codes for B1 thru B5 can be used if the pilot wishes to file point to point.

KUZA, United States

OK… the article I read did say ADS-B emitters could get better routings.

Here, it has been the case for years that Eurocontrol check for 8.33 (Y) and a few other things when it comes to rejecting a flight plan. But my Q was whether ATC use the equipment info tactically. So far I don’t see this in Europe.

Administrator

We (in Germany) don´t use the equipment info. As a controller I don´t have access to most of this information, we only get information if someone is non-RVSM or non-8,33 as filed in the flightplan.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Caba wrote:

As a controller I don´t have access to most of this information, we only get information if someone is non-RVSM or non-8,33 as filed in the flightplan.

So you actually do get the information and do make use of it

There is more stuff coming in this area. ANSPs (ATC providers) have been pushing Eurocontrol for a long time to allow them to define more complex equipment specific routing and airspace rules because they want to make better of aircraft equipment.

There should be zero non-8.33 Eurocontrol traffic as IFPS have been rejecting non-Y FPs for years

Administrator

No, IFPS does currently not reject non 8.33kHz plans (missing Y) in most situations.

The policy keeps changing, they used to enforce it for some airspaces, then turned it off again, currently they return a comment with every ACK saying that country xyz will refuse non 8.33 plans starting 2018.

FF KSTPXAAP
 112102 EUCHZMFP
 -TITLE ACK -MSGTYP IFPL -FILTIM 112102 -ORIGINDT 1707112102
-BEGIN ADDR
       -FAC KSTPXAAP
-END ADDR
-COMMENT MANDATORY 8.33KHZ RADIO EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FROM 01/01/2018.
 EETT FIR MAY REQUIRE 8.33KHZ RADIO CARRIAGE BEFORE THIS DATE.
CHECK AIP/AIC.
-EXTADDR -NUM 001
-IFPLID AA65655xxx
-MSGTXT (FPL-XXXX-IG
-C310/L-SDFGRV/S
-EEKA0240
-N0170F050 OSMUR
-EETN0025
-PBN/A1B2C2D2L1O2)
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message