Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC request to intercept a VOR radial?

It’s not unusual to have a turn (charted for a particular speed) rolling out on a radial to a VOR. That’s the case on the WAL2V. If you’re not doing exactly the planned speed, an adjustment may be required to intercept the radial, but it should be pretty close.

It’s also not unusual to have a course to an intercept (CI leg). what_next’s example of the DEGES 2W is unusual because there is no course specified for the intercept. I cannot imagine that would be the case unless the leg started very close to the radial, as in that case.

Just going back to un specified intercepts on SIDs, I don’t have plates anywhere near me at the minute but I think the RW09 SIDs at Liverpool EGGP have this. I am remembering the WAL departure in particular which I think is just “turn left to intercept Radial 096 to WAL” after passing a certain level.

United Kingdom

I stand by my opinion: most VFR pilots have no idea how that works. Your students might be better. Good instructor!

@Flyer59 Thank you, in this case l think you underestimate my students and many VFR pilots. Intercepting a given radial is nothing complicated and witha proper preflight briefing I don’t know many students who will have problems intercepting a radial.

I know many pilots who actually use this to identify airports or reporting points. Although it more and more becomes backup over GPS navigation.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

When we were drafting the EASA AMC for PBN, which sets out default operating procedures, we were very mindful that there is no equivalent for conventional navigation.

So the AMC will say e.g.:
“For parallel offset operations enroute (in RNP 4 and Advanced RNP), transitions to and from the offset track should maintain an intercept angle of between 30 and 45° unless specified otherwise by ATC”

But I know of no equivalent regulatory material that tells you how to intercept a specified radial, other than on the present heading. Come to think of it, I can’t even find the instruction to intercept a radial in PANS-ATM phraseology.

In Israel they have a full radar environment, but will not give you vectors. Instead they tell you to intercept a radial of a VOR. I found that strange. Why would they do that if they have you on radial. Did another night flight from the Golan Heights to Sde Dov airport near Tel Aviv and again, instead of giving vectors all instructions were related to flying inbound or outbound radials, entercepts, etc.

EDLE, Netherlands

Today I would make a direct on the GPS, enter the course i want and fly to that magenta line with HDG+NAV and the autopilot would intercept “virtual radial” … I could also confirm that with the second blue pointer in the HSI set to the VOR frequency

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Dec 18:13

In the Northeast US around NY approach I would get that flying on a radial. ATC would give instructions to leave the airway to intercept Example POU 153 R upon reaching they usually start with radar vectors.

I usually use my Collins 351 backup for this because it is just easier to use since Im not heading to a fix. I guess I should practice using my 430w just in case.

KHTO, LHTL

Let’s say you’re on the 180 radial inbound and ATC wants you to intercept r-150 inbound.
Difference between the radials is 30 plus 30 = 60. Which means the intercept angle is 60 degrees (which is also the maximum)
Now you add the 60 degrees to your present course of 360. The intercept HEADING is 060.

Other example: You’re on r-180 inbound and want to fly on r-170 inbound. Difference is 10+30 = 40. Use a intercept heading of 040 to intercept radial 170 inbound.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Dec 17:09

Flyer59 wrote:

There’s actually many correct ways to intercept a radial, the one i prefer is what they teach at Lufthansa: “D+30”, meaning that you add 30 degrees to the difference between the radial you are on and the one you want to intercept.

Let’s say you’re on r-180 inbound and you get the instruction to intercept r-150 inbound ….

I haven’t heard the term “D+30” before. Does it mean that you should turn right 180-150+30=60 degrees in this case?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message