Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Athens flying week 2015

Because I cannot participate in the meeting @ Portoroz LJPZ, Slovenia I didn’t want to spoil that topic with information about the AFW 2015.

In the mail Peter mentioned:
“Thereafter, some of us will fly on to Greece where there is an event called “Flying Week”, 9/10 and 12/13 September
http://athensflyingweek.gr/index.php/en/newsen
The event is at Tatoi LGTT – a military airfield. The main Athens airport (LGAV) is nearby running a special offer of very low fees (normally it is close to €200 unless doing a fuel stop only) so one would fly there direct. They have Avgas and Customs.

In an older topic Petakas gives further information:

This is the press release for AthensFlyingWeek 2015.
http://athensflyingweek.gr/index.php/en/newsen
Some other parts of the website are still not updated since 2014 event.

AFAIK Tatoi LGTT is not possible to act as port of entry in any way.
In every AFW event they had AVGAS and MOGAS but needed a pre declaration on pilots submission of registration regarding how many liters they expect to need because the event pre buys the AVGAS barrels.
All participating GA were entering via other international airports (incl. LGAV) where the sponsor handler was offering 0 charges to participants for the whole week of the event (all Greece airports where they served regardless of how many flights etc.)

The entry can be done easily at LGAV Intl. with avgas and customs and handling at 0 (sponsored for event participants) cost since this airport will be part of the event during the two weekday days of AFW2015. LGAV to LGTT is as 10’ flight over scenic Athens but there may not be point to this (meaning leave aircraft at LGAV during whole stay) since LGTT ground op’s for visiting crew are more messy than LGAV with the air displays in progress (tight arrival/departure slots for GA) and the GA apron being in remote location in the airport away from the tents of the organizing committee.

If I were a visitor I would leave aircraft at LGAV (H24 full services big airport) and use its good ground transportation connections for getting to Athens, Tatoi etc. by land. LGAV management is coorganizer of the event this year so there may be total 0 cost in parking at LGAV.

In general, you can declare participation in the event this year and this will give you already 0 handling fees by sponsor handler to any Greek airport you may visit during the event’s week. Final details are still pending but what I post here is based on previous years arrangments and the fact that I know that the event this year takes place 2 midweek days in LGAV Intl. (west side runway and taxiway) and Sat. & Sun. at Tatoi LGTT.

But: what is the latest info? When I look at the website, it is all with stuff from 2014. Only the participationlist is from 2015. Even the registrationdate is still the date of 2014.
I also don’t find any information on the site, Peter/Petakas mentioned about discountetc on LGAV.

I leave Belgium 10/9 and will arrive in Istanbul 16/9. Inbetween I was planning to fly to Lido – Losinj – Zakynthos -Athens – Istanbul. But with the flying week It is more interesting to go first to LGAV 12/9 or 13/9, visit Tatoi, and the city and fly after that to another Greek Island (Samos or other,…) before Istanbul. I will leave via Corfu and Corsica again to Belgium.

But to be clear… is this information verified? Where can you find it? (The site is still, one month before the event, totally outdated) Who do you have to contact etc.

Let’s bundle the latest information about AFW here in this topic, so it will be clear for everybody.

Vie

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke wrote:

In between I was planning to fly to Lido – Losinj – Zakynthos -Athens – Istanbul. But with the flying week It is more interesting to go first to LGAV 12/9 or 13/9, visit Tatoi, and the city and fly after that to another Greek Island (Samos or other,…) before Istanbul.

The information I have for AthensFlyingWeek until today morning is
- On SAT 12 & SUN 13 September the show will take place in Tatoi LGTT which will have AVGAS (for the occasion) but is not a port of entry
- For WED 9 & THU 10 September this part of the static & air show is not yet confirmed that it will take place in Athens Intl. LGAV

Judging from previous schedules and how GA has been accommodated until now, there are (will be) tight-ish LGTT arrival and departures time windows given to GA so as not to interfere with the show and the pre-show test runs of the aerobatics.
This means that for LGTT:
FRI 11 there shall be a relatively relaxed time window for arrivals most of the day
SAT 12 there shall be a 1 hour early morning arrivals window and similar afternoon arrivals/departures window
SUN 12 there shall be a 1 hour early morning arrivals/departures window and similar afternoon departures window
MON 13 there shall be a relatively relaxed time window for departures most of the day

It is not yet confirmed if on WED 9 & THU 10 the show will take place also in LGAV Intl. as originally planned.
LGAV’s participation to the show per original plan was to dedicate all all west area to the public for the static and air displays during the 2 weekdays but CAA (not LGAV management) are posing hurdles. If LGAV participation does not go ahead all the event will take place in just the two weekend days at LGTT as originally planned but LGAV management (pending info.) may sponsor visiting GA costs to their airport. Since the first talks in early 2015 they have been very enthusiastic in co-hosting AFW in the 2 weekdays (weekend impossible due to air traffic) but CAA was the hurdle in approvals. Every year on the last 3 events they provide for free to AFW in LGTT a lot of gear for their ground to air operations.

Now regarding flights to the other two airports of Athens:
LGAV E. Venizelos Intl. is always available H24 with parking, fuel and port of entry services regardless of the show.
The difference with AFW event is that most probably a designated handling company shall provide services at 0 cost to registered participants of AFW that the AFW organizing committee will inform them of following registrations. So if all goes to plan LGAV shall be able to be visited at 0 or minimal cost.
I write minimal because If for example LGAV (company) does not participate in the event sponsoring they may charge airport fees but there shall be 0 handling so for a couple of day’s parking instead of ~200 Euro it may be 150 Euro (worst case scenario).
LGAV ground connection to Athens City or Tatoi LGTT is very easy with suburban train ~15 Euro or 40 Euro by taxi.

LGMG Megara dedicated GA field 40km west of Athens is also always available 0900-1700L to all GA with AVGAS (available 6 days excl. Mondays) but no port of entry/exit ability.
For day visit to just refuel and leave later there is no PPR.
For overnight parking there is PPR and requests get approved.
Megara has no handling and charges are the ones at http://www.aopa.gr/info/ par. 23 as in all Greek public airports (excl. LGAV which is private).
Megara to Athens city or Tatoi LGTT or LGAV ground connection is relatively easy. 20 Euro by suburban train or 80 Euro by taxi.

As I type, even today, information is changing for better and we may soon see better news.
There shall be a new press release from AFW team during the day as far as I know for which I will update this thread.

Indeed the website has not been updated yet. I do not know why. For those who have Facebook they can follow AFW news in their page
http://www.facebook.com/AthensFlyingWeek
My info. is that AFW website shall be updated “very soon”.

So @Vieke I see no reason for you not to plan already your visit as originally scheduled and I explain why below.

You can plan to be in Athens 12 and 13/9 as participant of the GA FlyIn of AFW regardless if you land in LGTT or LGMG or LGAV.
You (will be) are an AFW event registered participant.
If you can make it to the show (LGTT via air or LGMG/LGAV via ground transport) it will be even better.
I for one would not miss the Polish Air Force Mig-29 display for nothing. It’s all the money as we say in Greece ;-)

To leave for Turkey if you do not fly via Samos LGSM you need to depart Athens via LGAV.
If you visit Samos LGSM then you can exit from there. Samos has AVGAS.
LGTT will be a great opportunity to visit Athens (close to city) but in their case it is imperative that you keep the arrival/departure time windows if you plan to fly in/out during the days of the airshow (SAT-SUN). If you are late for whatever reason the Tower will decline landing (even getting close to the ATZ) due to ongoing show. In such a case a divert to LGMG or LGAV is not an issue to be honest. I would keep them both as plan B with a PPR/PNRs in place to both even if I don’t fly there.

If you enter Greece via Zakynthos (you know they have no AVGAS I assume) their operation hours are (in UTC) SAT 12 0300-1815, SUN 13 0300-1830.
So arrival at Tatoi LGTT will be 0500~0530z (0800~0830L) which (from memory) will be OK for the time windows they usually give the morning slot i.e. it may be later so you may be flying some hour later for Athens without the need to rush at Zakynthos at 5~6am L to make it !

In the next couple of days the Fly In REGISTRATION will open for those who want to send their data to the organizing committee.
It will be in the Fly In section of AthensFlyingWeek website.
Once you register AOPA Greece who support the General Aviation Fly In part of AFW will contact you via email. The backbone of the events’ FlyIn support ! the ladies of AOPA Greece, Mrs Marina Z. and Mrs. Maro T., both active CPL/PPLs, will contact you for all facilitations further on.

For general info www.aopa.gr/info has all the details regarding info. to visiting pilots in Greece.

For AFW participation as registered GA Fly In pilot & pax the exceptions/exclusions from the above are:
- the ability to visit LGTT Tatoi (which is closed to public GA all year)
- the 0 handling costs from designated company to all Greek airports visited during these days (I assume per last 3 events’ arrangements)
- the free access to the show (as all spectators but no ticket cost for all onboard your aircraft)
- the dispatch office support ! you will get from AOPA Hellas physically present in Tatoi LGTT
- some other stuff related to visitors hospitality which I cannot confirm here yet

In the above post wherever I write shall its because I still do not have the final details.

Not to boost your appetite but just to show the LGTT GA Fly In apron and the participants LOL! at 1:11 of this video.
The view lasts one single second only due to the speed of the fly past :-)

Last Edited by petakas at 11 Aug 07:16
LGMG Megara, Greece

Hi @petakas,

Thank you for the huge amount of information!!

The exact route will come up the next 14 days (and after I get a GAM), but I think my best choice will be to enter Greece with a direct landing in LGAV and leaving the plane there for 2 days because of the 24h service, I will come from abroad and also the large arrival window LGAV vs LGTT. Also the good connection with the suburban train makes it very nice! So In place of Zakynthos, I will have to find another scenic Island for one or two days to visit before Istanbul. :-)

I just read on the website that the preregistration is open! :-)
The Athens Flying Week organizing Committee and AOPA Hellas are inviting you to visit Greece from September 8 to 14, 2015.
Fill the AFW Fly-in Registration Form in our official web site,www.athensflyingweek.com before Tuesday September 1, in order to obtain your landing permit for Tatoi airport (LGTT).

Maybe interesting for others:

Dates and times of arrival (local time): LGTT

• SEP 8 @ 09:00-SUNSET
  • SEP 9 @ 09:00-SUNSET
  • SEP 10 @ 09:00-SUNSET
  • SEP 11 @ 09:00-10:00, 15:00-16:00, 18:30-SUNSET
  • SEP 12 @ 09:00-10:00, 18:30-SUNSET
  • SEP 13 @ 09:00-10:00

Dates and times of departure (local time):

• SEP 12 @ 15:30-15:55, 18:30-SUNSET
  • SEP 13 @ 09:00-10:00, 15:30-15:55, 18:30-SUNSET
  • SEP 14 @ 09:00-SUNSET

I think I will be on the airshow sunday 13/9. Now waiting on the program. :-)

Vieke

Last Edited by Vieke at 13 Aug 23:35
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Yeap, they opened it today.
http://athensflyingweek.gr/index.php/en/flyinen/flyinformen
Normally the registration is for LGTT related flights because the Air Force (host) needs the details in advance since this airport opens to public GA only for AFW event.

Other queries are to be sent at [email protected] who (the team) will coordinate follow up.
Example, participants like @Vieke wanting to fly elsewhere in Athens but registrer as AFW Fly In participant can just email there with basic details.

The pilots’ briefing part for LGTT is still from 2014 but little to none will change in 2015.

Vieke to be honest I would go too to LGAV in your case. It will cost some, say, 200 Euro but its worth it because you will get FULL service H24 and not have to fit in a tight schedule in an airfield where an air show will be taking place, transportation to apron from entrance will be from volunteers with their cars and refueling will be a tight schedule again because for now it looks like the LGMG refueler will come to LGTT by road for a couple of hours each day. Tricky … (for both LGMG & LGTT).

Handling by SWISSPORT according to my latest information will be 0 cost for registered aircraft in any airport they stop while getting to, during and while leaving the event (i.e. stopovers for entry, refueling etc.).
Airport costs at LGAV (according to my latest info.) will not be complimentary. They will charge as usual. I estimate for a 2~3 day’s stay to be 200 Euro with the 0 handling cost.

Alternatively one can land 0900-1700L at LGMG (no PPR for day visit) , stay overnight (with PPR), get AVGAS but not enter Greece there from other country airport (like you can do in LGAV).

Some of us in Athens have a meeting on Monday with the organizing committee to finalize details for LGTT ground operations the main pending issue of which is who will do the FlyIn’s ground handling at Tatoi LGTT and AVGAS/MOGAS availability.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Would I be correct in that registration is not required if one is flying to LGAV and visiting LGTT on foot? That is my plan.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The organizing committee will sort this out for free entry etc. for FlyIn’ers at other airport as long as the email with details is sent.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Raw data as they come in.

The organizing team will publish this Press Release today regarding the Fly In part of the event.

ATHENS FLYING WEEK FLY-IN 2015
The Organizing committee of AFW and AOPA HELLAS announce Athens Flying Week FLY-IN 2015, on 8-14.09.2015 for Greek airports.
The majestic international aviation event AFW will be held in Tatoi Military Airport in Athens during the second week of September (12-13 September 2014).
Visiting Aircraft will be allowed entrance and parking at Tatoi airport from 11 up to 14/09/2015
All European pilots are invited to experience a memorable fly over the Greek islands in a unique fly in, while AFW and AOPA Greece will be assisting you in every way.
Pilots are free to arrange their own itinerary, they may select the islands they want to fly in and the days they want to stay. The organizers will provide reliable information on fuel cost and availability, on hotel cost and reservation, on ground transportation and car rental and any other info that a visiting pilot may need.
It will be our pleasure to see you and your friends in the Athens Flying Week Air Show (12 & 13.09) at Tatoi airport, and experience together unforgettable aviation moments, as well as a series of individual events.
There will be constant updates about our events, in our official web site, www.athensflyingweek.gr
Early registration is required and will be open until September 1st.
For details contact [email protected] and [email protected].

There seems that there will be no show in Athens Intl. midweek.
Tatoi LGTT is where it will all happen on SAT 12 and SUN 13 September but still the “week” of the event is 8 to 14 September for participants.

Tatoi LGTT will have AVGAS

SWISSPORT who is an event sponsor will offer 0 cost handling to participants of the “week” flying in Greek airports and most probably will do the handling inside LGTT or at least help the volunteer handlers (mainly local PPLs) with resources.

LGAV Intl. will charge as normal any visitor (no discounts) but there based SWISSPORT will provide handling at 0 cost for event registered flights.

NOTE: You are not “obliged” to fly to LGTT to participate as an AFW 2015 Fly In flight. Fly In is perceived in the wider terms of Fly(ing)In Greece that week

Officially Swissport has declared that they will provide the 0 cost handling to stopovers (entry/exit/refueling) for flights of the event but AOPA Hellas can coordinate the right information towards the handling agent regarding the flights to be served i.e. if there is more than two stopovers.

LGMG Megara, Greece

There seems that there will be no show in Athens Intl. midweek

In that case, given that I expect to end up on Brac LDSB on 7th Sep, I will probably fly to Athens for a couple of nights anyway, drop off my passenger (Dublinpilot) and fly on as planned, to Milos.

I will just have to meet up you Greeks down some taverna instead of Tatoi. It’s gonna be tough

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just as a closure to this thread,

Some ~20 GA aircraft (out of 40 declared) flew in for the event.
Most cancellations were due to weather en route far from Athens.

All went well without any problems.

About 38,000 spectators visited Tatoi on Saturday and Sunday.
The program of the display as executed:
http://athensflyingweek.gr/index.php/afwprogramen

Here’s a video of some highlights until AFW release official ones.

Athens Flying Week 2016 will be on the weekend of 16-18 September.

LGMG Megara, Greece
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message