Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Atlantic crossing notebook

So I am heading back across to Boston later this week and I thought it might be interesting for some to talk about the issues leading up to the flight and then while we are making the crossing.

Flight is in the Meridian. Fast but somewhat range limited on this route. We get about 4:20 before fuel runs out at a TAS of 265kts. You can get about 10% more range by going slower.

Plan is to leave Oxford Thursday for Wick then Reykjavik. The we have to get through Greenland via Narsarsuaq and then to Goose Bay.

Problem with Greenland is that due to Easter (clearly a very religious place) they are “closed” Thursday/Friday and Sunday/Monday. For a variety of business and personal reasons I need to come through there on a closed day (subject to weather). Now they aren’t really closed they just use it as a way to charge you more for landing.

Our challenge is that Friday sees strong upper level winds on the route BIRK to BGBW (Narsarsuaq).

But currently looking like OK weather.

When I say better I mean better than the current weather:

METAR: BGBW 301950Z 24018KT 9999 DRSN FEW030 M06/M12 Q1000
TAF: BGBW 301417Z 3015/3019 VRB05KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 3015/3019 2000 -SN BKN014 BECMG 3015/3018 24012KT

But due to the winds we can’t make it with a safe fuel margin.

Our alternative is to fly to Sondrestrom Fjord (BGSF) (*usually much better weather) then Iqualuit but that is a far longer route.

The next few days will be telling.

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Mar 23:31
EGTK Oxford

Have a safe flight and hope the headwinds aren’t too much of a hassle.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Keep us informed good luck.

KHTO, LHTL

Could you du Kulusuk and then go direct northern route to Iqualuit? Winds would be less severe there. I know Kulusuk is gravel, but from what I’ve seen it looks pretty decent. Dash 8’s go in there. Also, how do you deal with the HF requirement on the southern route? Do you have it installed?

One can never have enough rangeā€¦ Good luck and keep us informed.

Enjoy the trip. Have a safe one!

EDHS, Germany

Kulusuk would work but no real advantage over BGSF. Typically BGSF has very good weather, Kulusuk doesn’t. It is a useful alternate however. You don’t need HF at 250 or above on the southern route.

EGTK Oxford

That’s quite a voyage, I’m following this closely. Thx for posting

EGTF, LFMD

Good luck! I did an eastwards crossing at the end of last year and it was an amazing trip.

EGBB

Fantastic trip – good on you for doing it!

This looks like a very interesting trip. It will be great to see how it all works out. The weather up there has quite a reputation!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
84 Posts
Sign in to add your message