Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autopilot Required for single pilot IFR (non commercial) (merged)?

Detlev, if I understand things correctly all you have to do is wait. When EASA comes in this particular rule will no longer be there, in all likelihood.

The rules themselves will become law across the EU shortly, but individual countries may submit for a derogation for up to two years I believe.

And honestly I can't see Germany prosecuting you over a missing autopilot when everybody knows full well that in a very short period of time that requirement will be preempted by EASA regulations anyway.

Thanks Backpacker, at least there is some hope on the horizont regards detlev

EDHE

Hi Detlev,

your best hope might be the new EASA regulations. It could very well be that the German autopilot requirements will go away. Another solution would be to put your aircraft onto another register, for example the UK. Then the British CAA requirements will apply which do not require an autopilot.

Getting the AZF radio license isn't that difficult, you don't really have to be English proficient. Very basic skills should be enough. That is most likely the level of English that your examiners will have

Thanks Achimba detlev

EDHE

Personally I won't fly IFR in IMC conditions without a working autopilot or a second pilot. When things start going wrong the autopilot can literally be a life saver.

Wine, Women, and Airplanes = Happy
Canada

I very much agree with you, Big Pistons Forever.

I started with the minimum IFR equipment and only after starting to fly in IMC, I noticed how dangerous that could be and I started upgrading my avionics. A good autopilot was one of the most important things together with a good level of redundancy.

Personally I won't fly IFR in IMC conditions without a working autopilot or a second pilot. When things start going wrong the autopilot can literally be a life saver.

Agreed, but 99% of IFR in light GA is done 99% in VMC On this trip, ~20hrs airborne, I did some 10 mins instrument time. And that is common. You pick your wx carefully, then climb up, and sit in sunshine.

Especially in Europe, where having an IR means you do the same "obvious" flight on the same "obvious" route on which you would fly VFR if ATC operated in accordance with ICAO (i.e. VFR allowed in all airspace classes B-G), but now you can "just fly" and ATC works nice with you, whereas under VFR you have to get a clearance for each piece of airspace, and half the time you don't get it.

This German reg is just plain weird. It goes beyond what is sensible regulation. Why doesn't Germany mandate a duplicate inspection of fuel tank contents? It would probably save many lives. But it would be stupid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter

Your comment got me looking at my log book. Over 24 years about 8% of my trip time under an IFR flight plan was in IMC. Unfortunately both of my actual no shit single pilot IFR emergencies occurred in the goo on totally crap days. In both cases having the autopilot to keep the dirty side down while I dealt with the problem was invaluable.

I will add that the autopilot is only useful if you know how to operate it, and the general level knowledge about autopilot operation in both the private and commercial side of GA, is IMO abysmal. Sadly it is virtually non existent at flight schools...........

Wine, Women, and Airplanes = Happy
Canada

I think that most of the flight training in the PA-46 was around interaction of GPS, PFD, Autopilot and FD.And being able to use them in anger well and efficiently without losing focus on flying the plane. In particular recognising when the AP is not doing what you expect and correcting it.

The DFC90 is great but but complex and you really need to spend time in the manual understanding exactly what it will and will not do before relying on it in IMC.

EGTK Oxford

My plane came with a S-Tec 50, together with my FI, we tried every mode and coupling with all nave/gps... You don't want to wonder what it's doing if you are in IMC. In summer I flew a TB20 with a King AP and was quite happy with it, so I plan to upgrade mine with alt preselect and GS capture. DFC90 is a whole different kind of fish, but with STCs for only a handful aircraft. IAS hold and envelope protection sounds good.

The upgrade marathon never ends. What's next?

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message