Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

Interesting find. Suggest to report it. Maybe there is an explanation or there is a room for improvment for a great product to be even better.

Have a nice flight! I wouldn’t mind France at this time of the year! :-)

ESOW, Sweden

This is funny. The index does not relate to the colours on the map (these are areas of French industrial action today)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Saw that there were two threads and tried to select the most appropriate :-) Autorouter is too good to be true (free).

ESMH

We have just two AR threads now, after a huge amount of merging (the AR guys used EuroGA heavily for promotion, starting a huge number of threads, before disappearing).

AR updates

and this one

This topic was here.

There is some concern in certain quarters that if AR disappeared (as far as anyone knows, only Garmin have licensed it, so it is kept alive by the €€€ put in by Achim) we would be a bit stuck. Foreflight was a big hope but progress seems to have stalled lately, probably because FF found the European market fragmented and rather thin money-wise.

Administrator

Ah, of course. Maybe an old browser auto-complete. Thanks a lot!

ESMH

The URL is now autorouter.aero

Administrator

Not aware of a better alternative all-around. Foreflight autorouting in my experience sometimes finds better routes, and sometimes gives a route that fails to Eurocontrol-validates. I haven’t used RocketRoute in years, since they exploded their prices upwards.

ELLX

I have used autorouter for years and love it. For some reason, the website, autorouter.eu, seems to be down (for me) at least today. The Telegram chatbot however works. Maybe it is a temporary issue.

BTW, are you guys still using it or is there an alternative that is “better”?

ESMH

AR uses some client-side code. This is the “modern way” of doing websites which are more interactive. This stuff doesn’t have to be updated all the time but sometimes it does. I don’t know the details in the AR but traditionally client-side code has been done in Javascript, and while JS is downloaded to the client every time you go to the site, if it is a large chunk then you don’t want to do that. The AR makes heavy use of off the shelf libraries, which are generally bloated. I’ve just finished the design of a product which has an HTTP server and while I tried to make everything use just plain HTML (just like my own site) this won’t do for some things e.g. file transfers where you want a progress report in both directions. Or perhaps an auto-completing list of airports where e.g. you type EGK and it drops down a list of all EGK* airports.

Many people here know far more about this than I do.

I am genuinely pleased that the dev of the AR is continuing to keep it running despite zero revenue (other than the licensing from Garmin Pilot) and despite his boycott, since 2018, of the principal launch platform

Administrator

pmh wrote:

Just now when accessing Autorouter it asked me to reload for a new version.

Can you explain a bit further? Autorouter is a web app so you would always access the current/latest version when logging in. Did you have it open in a browser and were logged in when you received the message? Did it ask you to log out and log in again? Or did it prompt you to logout/login when accessing a saved route?

LSZK, Switzerland
750 Posts
Sign in to add your message