Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation fuel cards

very clear. a bit of a shame though, since an increasing number of GA SEP/MEP have or are available with the 155CDI as option (C172, DA-42, Robin DR-401).

Last Edited by chflyer at 22 Dec 17:40
LSZK, Switzerland

Their FAQ documents (in French) that a Jet-A1 card is available only if one has an AOC or other exemption from excise tax on fuel
https://www.total.fr/contact-et-faq/faq.html?question=43888-souhaite-disposer-d-une-carte-air-total-jet-a-1-est-ce-possible

The presentation page also says so https://www.total.fr/mes-deplacements/aviation/carte-air-total-france.html

La carte AIR TOTAL JET A-1 est délivrée aux utilisateurs qui justifient d’une activité autre que de “tourisme privé” et d’une exonération fiscale de Taxe Intérieure de Consommation (TIC).

compare to:

La carte AIR TOTAL AVGAS 100 LL est délivrée aux utilisateurs qui sont assujettis à la Taxe Intérieure de Consommation (TIC).

Last Edited by lionel at 22 Dec 16:08
ELLX

As of a couple month ago you couldn’t. You apply online and then they send and email saying unavailable for private ops

Solaris wrote:

Unfortunately TOTAL does not issue JET A1 cards for non-AOC operators

Are you sure? The application can now be done on-line and the form doesn’t make any mention of such a limitation:
Total Air Card application form

LSZK, Switzerland

I read somewhere that operating a CC machine with French/European bank security regulations is very expensive and requires a lot of payments to cover the costs.

I would find it really amazing that the costs are the issue. Standalone cash dispensers in shops etc already need to deal with all this. And the machine would need to ask for a PIN, which the AIR BP card doesn’t so anybody could pick up a lost or stolen AIR BP card and just use it (at human-attended pumps, the aircraft reg would need to match unless it is an ANY card).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

I have applied for a Shell Carnet (…).

The website says that “a volume threshold applies and the offer is only available to Business customers”. Do you know the order of magnitude of the volume threshold?

ELLX

Unfortunately TOTAL does not issue JET A1 cards for non-AOC operators

LFSB

Peter wrote:

Of course the TOTAL card gives you a lower price (than the airport bowser) but those pumps have been rigged to not take anything else. I wonder why that was done. Was it to keep the credit card processing fee in TOTAL’s pocket, and prevent the use of a credit card which would cost TOTAL another 1-2%? I cannot understand why one would install a pump – an expensive installation, in both initial and ongoing costs – and then not enable it to reduce the personal wealth of the maximum possible number of customers Same goes for the AIR BP self service pumps too; they don’t take credit or debit cards either. There must be some weird reasons for this.

I read somewhere that operating a CC machine with French/European bank security regulations is very expensive and requires a lot of payments to cover the costs. Obviously in the US, these norms are much lighter (swipe only cards for example). So TOTAL and others developped their own cards so that no bank/CC information transits between the pump and the server. So these norms don’t apply self-serve pumps are cheaper.

Yes it is annoying, but it is worth it to have fuel 24/7 in any part of France. Almost everyone in France has one. I understand for strangers it is a complication.
Another Frencho-French discrepancy

LFOU, France

Rayner, Suzanne <[email protected]>

EGKB Biggin Hill

+1 for Suzanne. Very helpful. For me the AirBP card gives me back control. Where self serve pumps are available, i can land, taxi to the pump and fuel without having to wait. Then when we come to depart a couple of days later, being fuelled,time planning is a lot easier.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 22 Dec 11:37
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message