Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation Oxygen (merged)

Peter wrote:

Unfortunately I have just sold my car and the trailer so I will have to find somebody to help me next time, because the cylinder is far too heavy for me to lift, and won’t go into my car.

@Peter, how big is your BOC cylinder? overall length x width/radius, filled weight, capacity?

LSZK, Switzerland

You can see a pic of the top of it here. It is the “W” size. Details here.

It is not easy to move about. I can just about move it, by rolling it on its bottom end with it nearly vertical. If it is on the ground horizontally, no way could I lift it into a van. So every couple of years I have to borrow somebody “large” to help me, and we drive it to the welding gas depot and swap it.

The advantage of the large composite cylinder I fly with is that it holds so much gas that even if there is only enough source pressure to half fill it, I can still fly to Greece and back with it. And I carry two of them on long trips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The MH web site table indicates about 40hr @ 15’000ft for the CFFC-048 using the EDS, which is I think the config that you have @Peter. Does that mileage sound about right?

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes sounds in the right order of magnitude.

A large cylinder (which, if composite, is still lightweight) removes the huge hassles of getting oxygen refills while on a trip.

Administrator

Here is a good data point on the question of whether you can smoke while breathing oxygen

Administrator
Sign in to add your message