Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

It’s a very personal thing.

Myself, I use FL110 as a maximum for long periods of time without using oxygen. However, sometimes (not always) after such a flight, I do feel its effects. And yes, the same might actually happen after a few hours at FL95.

How readily to use oxygen also depends a bit on what it costs to fill up the bottle. This may range from 0 to about 100 Euros a pop. Availability (and the bottle’s “endurance”) also play a role on those longer trips.

Then some people hate cannulas. Other have no problem with them. I am somewhere in between the two.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Apr 08:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, generally, what is the maximum flight level for prolonged flight without oxygen at all?

If you are asking about the regulations, then for pax it is FL130, for crew it is FL130 for max. 30 minutes, then FL100.

Especially for night VFR it could be wise for the pilot to use oxygen at lower levels as vision is affected first.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So, for pax FL120 would be OK?

EVCA

FL120 without o2 for passengers is OK if you don’t mind your lady (or your prospective lady) getting a headache Most people are OK with it for say an hour but most will get quite sleepy and a headache will be common. Upon landing, they will be well shagged. At the far end, I know one guy, an instructor with a CPL/IR, who cannot read an altimeter at FL120 though that is unusual.

I would recommend a quick scan of this which is still current except that it mentions some old kit (Precise Oxygen – best avoided).

The oxygen game has changed in recent years. Mountain High’s O2D2 electronic demand regulator has totally trashed the competition in both gas use efficiency and the ability to deliver a consistently good blood o2 % at high altitudes (e.g. 95% at FL200 with a cannula). But this little box is $800.

Below that, you are looking at a cylinder, a 1st stage regulator, a manual flowmeter / flow adjuster and an oxysaver/oxymiser (“moustache”-like) cannula. That uses about 2.5x more gas but it saves you the $800. The brand is irrelevant. The aluminium cylinders are all re-labelled scuba cylinders, built for 3000psi (scuba standard) and redlined by the “aviation” vendor at about 2200psi. The 1st stage reg just screws onto the cylinder and I think all the brands (MH, Aerox, SkyOx) are OK. The oxysaver cannulas have multiple vendors. Aerox is just a label really… I started with Aerox in 2003.

Personally, regardless of whether you want to get the O2D2, I would buy the “48 cu ft” carbon/kevlar cylinder mentioned in my writeup (from MH), and their 1st stage reg. I have found, at the cost of massive hassles in various places, that a small cylinder is a waste of time.

I like MH. Nice people, sell direct from the USA, have some European stockists too. Good quality gear. Their 1st stage reg has nice quick release connectors.

Additional decision factors are DIN versus CGA-540 cylinder thread (I think the majority in Europe now leans towards DIN because there is a possibility of a refill at a scuba shop that caters for tri-mix diving), and if you fly with a significant number of different people (=hygiene issues) then the higher cost of the oxymiser cannula will swing things towards the O2D2 and its much cheaper plain cannulas.

Regards regs, the FAA regs are one thing but the EASA regs override them (even in an N-reg) in EU airspace. I also think the legal ability to be at 14000ft for 30 mins is a bit optimistic, for today’s average-fitness individual. It’s a bit like a PA28-140 for 4 people

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Apr 10:23
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have the Guardian 455-101-001 Pulse Oximeter and CO Detector http://www.guardianavionics.com/455_101_001.html fitted in my aircraft, and noticed my blood 02% in the 86-88% after just an hour at 8500ft. I don’t know how well these are calibrated, but in the hanger it is consistently 96-97%.

I nearly always suffered headaches after a 2-3 hour flight at 8-9000ft. Now I have the MH 02D2 oxygen system and have it set to start at FL50. It means I can now always try for higher levels, with the added benefits that brings.

Last year I did two flights totalling 6 ½ hours in one day, cruising above 10,000ft. Something I wouldn’t have tried before oxygen, the oxygen used on those flights (two on oxy), only just moved the contents gauge.

Norman
United Kingdom

I agree with Peter about Mountain High: I use their O2D2 and rate it highly.

For those that don’t like the “over the ears” moustache cannulas, www.oxyarmaviator.com/ is an excellent alternative.

EGSC

I am going to take a look at that Oxyarm thingy at AERO (EDNY). If it works it will be great because I am always catching the tube on the back of the seat, etc.

Currently, it looks like the wx might be flyable out of the UK on Wednesday 9th. Justine has a return ticket to Gatwick (lucky gurl )

Administrator

Here also MH O2D2 oxygen system with the 48 cu ft carbon cylinder. It works brilliantly. Just stick the cannula up your nose and forget about it :)
Make sure you first find an address where to fill it! That can be quite hard. I have a scuba diving shop that does it for me.

In case you need a transfil adapter, this is a good supplier: http://www.watersafetyshop.eu
I’m using this adapter to convert DIN G5/8" (used in diving) to DIN G3/4" (oxygen).

Having oxygen makes the difference between arriving fit or arriving tired.

I’m using the MH O2D2 with cannula’s up to FL200 with no issues.

You need to also have an Oximeter to monitor your oxygen level. They’re very cheap nowadays. You can find them below 50 EUR.

Interesting… in the 10+ years I have been messing with this, nobody has ever before mentioned that an adaptor is needed for a DIN-fitting cylinder, to refill from a scuba shop.

I wonder if that is a German issue?

But, anyway, scuba shop refill are very problematic for some people, and very easy for others…

Would you need a transfill hose if filling at a scuba shop? They must have a hose, surely?

The other approach, with a 540-thread cylinder, is an adapter from the DIN-ended scuba shop hose to the 540 thread on the cylinder. I have no idea what that might look like, but it would be a very useful thing to know about and have a reference for.

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Apr 16:36
Administrator

Be carefull with oxygen fillings. Some scuba shops do have compress air or nitrox. Others have oxygen, or fill with medical oxygen. EASA and FAA only approve the use of aviation breating oxygen (which has a more strict specification on moisture then medical oxygen). This is part of the reason that a refill at a aircraft maintance shop will be more expensive.

Be sure to know what your get. FAA: Oxygen equipment use in general aviation operations

Last Edited by Jesse at 04 Apr 18:38
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message