Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne Garmin Meggitt interoperability question

From here

As I wish to upgrade both Garmin 530s in my aircaft to WAAS, I have extensively used both the IFD 540/550 and Garmin GTN750 iPad simulators to assess both interfaces. (I know this thread is about the actual product touchscreens but think my post is still on topic – just).

Given the straightforward install with no panel cutting, I chose the Avidynes and paid the installer for an IFD550 and IFD540. I also preferred the Avidyne UI as well so it was a relatively easy choice.

But then I hit a snag as my Meggitt Meridian will need dual PFD upgrades at some point. My easy and probably only choice are G500txi but these units do not include the Avidyne receivers on the compatible equipment list. Neither did the original G500 apparently. And the Avidyne units do not have the G500txi listed on their compatibility list yet and likely won’t for at least 6 months.

So what to do? Upgrading the two boxes to GNS530W’s is looking favourite at the moment – the risk of any compatibility issues real or perceived makes the Avidynes an unlikely choice now.

Thoughts? I need to give installer instructions very soon what to do.

Lydd

PhilG wrote:

But then I hit a snag as my Meggitt Meridian will need dual PFD upgrades at some point. My easy and probably only choice are G500txi but these units do not include the Avidyne receivers on the compatible equipment list. Neither did the original G500 apparently. And the Avidyne units do not have the G500txi listed on their compatibility list yet and likely won’t for at least 6 months.

Have you considered an Aspen PFD instead? They certainly work with the Avidyne equipment and you can get a pretty similar setup as the G500 with an Aspen 2000 but with better redundancy too.

How about dual G5’s to replace your Meggits? Not sure if they accept Avidyne boxes as source though.

I massively shy away from so called “integrated” solutions which force you to use a certain brand to drive other elements. The WAAS updates for certain G1000 incarnations should have been a massive shot across the bow for many upgraders. I think “over a barrel” is the appropriate expression.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes, I have considered a Aspen and have about 30 hours flying with one. Compared to the wonderfully clear and simple Meggitt presentation the PFD1000 always seemed too small and too densely packed with data for my taste. Even when it was decluttered it still seemed cluttered. I think Peter’s post from below illustrates the situation very well particularly given the large bezel on the PFD1000.

For me the larger GarminTXI 7" portrait is looking favourite. And will fit into the panel without moving anything else around – but for another $4000/side I can get the 10.6" landscape display but with lots of panel work and so much higher install costs. Decisions decisions

Peter wrote:

Peter 15-Mar-18 14:44 #25
It took me quite a while to find the dimensions

Comparing to scale the portrait product (GDU700P) with the Aspen, the former is obviously not going to take the same “easy retrofit” market (Aspen on the right)

Lydd

I seem to have lost Peter’s graphics in the quote. Here is the size comparison between the Garmin 500TXi portrait and the PFD1000

Lydd

And for reference here is my panel which is standard 2003 year Meridian. You can see the portrait Garmin 500TXi would replace the existing EAI and EHSI quite nicely.

Lydd

Hi Phil,
If its of any use to you, we could meet up somewhere and you could have a look at my panel.

Like yours my Jetprop is 2003 so the panels were almost identical, except that I only had the Meggit on one side.

The 2 × 530′s remain and the Meggit has be replaced with G500 with synthetic vision.

Let me know

Phil, will the IFD’s run the Garmin 500Txi’s?

The Garmin TXI thread was here.

I wonder if @wigglyamp has installed any of this stuff?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’re doing our first Txi at present with a GTN650. Product has only just started to ship.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

quatrelle wrote:

Hi Phil,
If its of any use to you, we could meet up somewhere and you could have a look at my panel.

Like yours my Jetprop is 2003 so the panels were almost identical, except that I only had the Meggit on one side.

The 2 × 530′s remain and the Meggit has be replaced with G500 with synthetic vision.

Let me know

Hi Quatrelle, that would be great, thanks for the offer. Where are you based? I am away for a couple of weeks now but mid-April onwards would be ok.

Phil

Lydd
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message