Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

They have also done well with the DFC90.

EGTK Oxford

Right, and I am sure that the IFD440/540 will be great products. Actually, from what I saw on trade shows I like the user interface better than Garmin’s GTN650. But I’ll not invest in either of those – but upgrade my 2 GNS430s to WAAS, which is a much better deal for a private pilots … I simply cannot justify putting another € 30.000 into the plane just for a nicer user interface …

The IFD540 is vastly nicer than the GTN650’s cluttered screen.

But I would install an MFD with either of them

The vertical stack space I have (KX155A, KLN94, KMD550) is 8". What can one fit in there? The EX600 is 4.93" which leaves 3" for the GPS, which is OK for a GTN650/GNS430W (2.65") and that’s about it… If I removed both KX radios and put in 2 x IFD540 then I would have 10" to play which is OK since these are 4.6" high.

The problem with the GTN750 is its size (6") which rules out any MFD. One could argue one doesn’t need one, of course…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would do a GTN750 and no MFD. It is an MFD Peter IMHO.

EGTK Oxford

With the 750 I don’t think you need an MFD … I just saw an installation of 2 GTN750 into a Cheyenne at Avionik Straubing yesterday, I think that’s really more than enough …

(By the way, they have a used Aspen 1000 Pro, € 5000 at the moment. I can give you the right contact if anybody is interested). 50 h of installation though.

The 750 can display all that an MFD can display, AFAICS.

What it can’t do is continuously display whatever “MFD page” you want to see (e.g. the route and its waypoints) e.g.

while you are fiddling with something else e.g. entering a DCT to some waypoint.

Whether this matters is of course a matter of opinion. I am used to the KLN94+KMD550 and don’t want to give that up. I know the KMD550 display is crap (320×240 pixels) but it shows all you need to see… The KLN94 user interface is basically a GNS430 without the radio.

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Jan 10:36
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis,

(By the way, they have a used Aspen 1000 Pro, € 5000 at the moment. I can give you the right contact if anybody is interested).

YES!! Can I have the contact please?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Call Martin Scheifl at Avionik Straubing, or send him an eMail: [email protected]
He said it’s the “Pro” version, and that installation in my Warrior (GNS430, S-TE30+) would be about 50 h (x €75). So it’s probably very much the same for your plane – if there’s an STC for it (but i think they have it)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 31 Jan 10:42

Peter,
that feature alone is probably not worth investing much more money or tearing the whole plane apart :-) Don’t you mostly fly with a route? And with the GTN650 a DCT can be entered so quickly …

Sign in to add your message