Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

…or move to Switzerland

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

I have found that if one cannot “just drop in” and see how they are doing, it is likely to be problematic. I am not suggesting that any particular installer would create a problem, but it is a recipe for getting one for sure.

If they are so good, you can combine the upgrade with skiing trip

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

RobertL18C wrote:

I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

It certainly is.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

Yes, otherwise we would not be allowed IFR anymore. But with the current troubles with Com 1, a 2nd 8.33 would be much more useful.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver I think it’s ok to keep them for listening/monitoring and as an emergency if COM 1 failed.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why not?

It’s not 8.33 compliant. We are not supposed to use 760 channel coms anymore.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Distance is definitely a consideration and I tend to feel the same. I know everyone raves about Straubing and I considered using them at one point due to cost but decided against it due to the proximity issue. It sounds from comments here that it is a challenge to find quality avionics shops in the UK.

LSZK, Switzerland

That’s interesting – thanks $1000 is probably more than I would get for a KLN94 on Ebay.

Chflyer – thank you too, but after much past experience I would not use an installer so far away. I have found that if one cannot “just drop in” and see how they are doing, it is likely to be problematic. I am not suggesting that any particular installer would create a problem, but it is a recipe for getting one for sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hope you will allow this Peter but I just wanted to say that we are offering a trade in deal for ANY panel mounted GPS against an IFD system.
The trade in price depends on what IFD you purchase.

$500 when purchasing an IFD440
$1000 when purchasing an IFD540
$2000 when purchasing an IFD550

We don’t sell directly so this is done via the dealer network. PM if you are interested and I can put you in touch with some of our dealers.

I hope you all enjoy flying again soon

Peter wrote:

This is a photoshop of what I would do, and probably will as soon as I come across an avionics installer who I believe can cope with it

Avionitec in Switzerland can definitely cope. All the avionics work on my C172 since 2000 has been done by them, including my IFD540/IFD440, and I have never had a squawk after their work. The work is high quality, they are an FAA repair station, and you’ll get the schematics (printed and pdf) which not every shop provides. Yes, they are expensive; their hourly rate is CHF145/GBP113. But besides this being Switzerland quality does not come cheap and a clean installation is a worthwhile investment IMHO. They have operational bases at Zurich LSZH and Grenchen LSZG.

LSZK, Switzerland
238 Posts
Sign in to add your message