Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency Glass Cockpit - Levil BOM - avionics certification is progressing

I would not assume that just because something has a Minor Alteration concession that it is sensible in all cases

Also the performance impact will be significant – looking at the data for e.g. an ADF antenna, I reckon this will cost you 2-3kt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just read on a US site that the BOM is a UAT device and thus not useful outside the USA. Also it works by picking up your Mode A transponder squawk and it uses that for its ADS-B replies. Very strange!

Administrator

The BOM now has dual-band ADS-B IN.

Looking at the installation manual (on the site) the installation is not exactly trivial – as I posted a year ago.

Administrator

Seems a nice bit of kit for a no electric no gyro PA18!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Good video.

Curious points:

• no ADS-B OUT so this device doesn’t help with the whole electronic conspicuity business
  • no selectivity on target altitude (shows airliners too)
  • what does the AHRS portion do that’s actually useful (on the sort of aircraft which this is intended for)?
  • ADS-B IN (with a tablet-only display i.e. no avionics integration) can be done very simply and cheaply with a battery powered device, so why have the turbine generator?
Administrator

I would have thought that the point of the generator was to make it free of battery dependency.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Sure, but what about your radio, your headset, your GPS, the tablet used to display the traffic? Except for a (very low spec) headset, all these need power.

You can receive ADS-B IN and generate a bluetooth interface to a tablet with, probably, some tens of milliamps.

I can see the ease of installation (no wires) but an ADS-B IN device does not have to be outdoors.

Administrator

NORSEE approved by the FAA makes it a minor alteration…sign off. Not sure how EASA views these things…

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/design_approvals/norsee/

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Found this today, don’t think we have discussed it here yet. The LEVIL BOM FAA approval seem legit, see here..

Seems to me agreat and rather inexpensive instrument backup. Thoughts ?

The first link you provided has an invalid SSL certificate and may not even open in some browsers.

Here is where it leads: https://www.adamsaviation.com/?i=378528

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message