Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avoiding high FRAPORT and HANDLING costs in Greece

By the way, it IS possible to get Avgas at LGTS. At least this was the case last year.

How exactly did you get it?

I have tried to arrange this in the past but under the “arrangement in place” nobody would give me assurance that it could be sold to me, let alone confirm it in writing, which is no good because if one is refuelling at LGTS and cannot get fuel there, one is then looking at some unpleasant options e.g. flying back down to Athens.

On recent trips I have gone Croatia (Losinj or Brac) to Samos, or to Sitia, direct.

Last time I stopped at Corfu, 2015, they were really efficient and I was done, paperwork and all, in an hour, and on my way to Corsica.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How exactly did you get it?

As so often in GA, things have to be arranged by telephone, not by email.
With the aeroclub in this case.
And no, it wasn’t done with one phonecall, but required two. I had their final OK For a specific ETA, but then changed plans for other reasons, so didn’t end up going to LGTS.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Apr 18:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As to your question Skopje-LGBL-Sitia, the Meltemi is quite reliable that time of year + I have some glider experience.
Skopje – Sitia direct would be about 4 hours (versus 5.5 hours endurance with my LR tanks), less than I like, but Syros, Paros and Santorini are right on the flight path if needed.

Tököl LHTL

boscomantico wrote:

By the way, it IS possible to get Avgas at LGTS. At least this was the case last year.

Only via the aeroclub after quite a few private contacts and not officially with invoice as AVGAS from the fuel provider (as far as I know).
Right now the very aeroclub has huge problems with FRAPORT. They just tell them , “you all have to leave, the bulldozers are coming” (for the terminal expansion to the north).
The company does not care (for now) they just tell them soon you’ll have to leave. Same case in Mitilini LGMT.
FRAPORT has come in with aggressive expansion / improvement obligations and GA space is not part of it (for now).

OMG I can see this thread derailing soon, I already held tight not to respond in Aviathor’s post !

BTW Bosco. LGBL (Civil terminal) are quite efficient.
In summer months they have quite a few Germania and other charters flying in often.
Also if you’re lucky you’ll enjoy some amazing experiences involving fighter jets. Its one of Greece’s most “active” bases.
(you) Holding short while witnessing the expedited taxi and afterburner departure right in front of you of groups of 2~4 F16’s on scramble is one of kind experience.

LGMG Megara, Greece

If arriving from Italy is there still a need for an “Port of Entry” airport?

Yes, of course. This has not changed, and i fear it won’t …

Greece is “in Schengen” but doesn’t operate it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

petakas wrote:

FRAPORT has come in with aggressive expansion / improvement obligations and GA space is not part of it (for now).

This aggressive expansion would have come anyway – with or without Fraport operating the airports. It is caused by the current situation in Turkey (and also Egypt) which redirects part of the tourist streams to Greece. The Greek airports would be stupid if they would not take the opportunity and make the best of it – after all, it serves the whole country. Instead of whining about a few restrictions to GA we all should be glad that Greece finally has a chance to prosper economically.

Last Edited by what_next at 24 Apr 20:42
EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks very much…all being well I am going to try for Greece at the end of august / beginning of September.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

Instead of whining about a few restrictions to GA we all should be glad that Greece finally has a chance to prosper economically.

If we see the forest and not the tree many people (including myself) certainly agree.
This forum is about the tree though

LGMG Megara, Greece
Sign in to add your message