Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Awesome BN2 islander flying

Hi everyone, just thought I’d share this cool little vid I found on YouTube! Makes me want to fly immediately! haha Enjoy :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Holy sh-t!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Nice. What happened to posts 2 & 3?

Forever learning
EGTB

Good grief!

That guy is ready for a helicopter upgrade.

Excellent!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Really nicely done.

I had occasion two weeks ago to demonstrate the 182 amphibian in and out of a 300 metre long runway in a mountain pass in Norway. The runway length was not so much the issue as the 1/2 by 3/4 mile space available in the mountains as the downwind, base and slant final area. These kind of operations are typical of float flying, where arrival and departure paths are not straight, nor on a 3 degree angle. When I train these, I often want to believe that the floats did actually touch the tree tops on short final. This is where energy management of the aircraft becomes critical, as arriving with too much energy will mean a messy overshoot. The approaches are often flown high drag, while carrying power, so that the power can be chopped at the opportune time over the fence. It works fine if you’re sharp, and the engine does not quit!

I know that I was video’d so if it makes it to Youtube, I’ll post it here.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Great flying! Isn’t it interesting how ingrained the ‘check final clear’ look is? I don’t think the pilot had to worry much about other traffic out there, yet at around 2:03 there is that quick glance to the right.

Is it that the camera view is distorted, or is he really almost hitting the tree tops?

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message