Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aztec price reduced from 75k down to 19k!

I’m kind of tempted to suggest a syndicate to buy it, but no, I have a plane…. Going in with 2-3 other guys might make sense if t checks out. But I ain’t going there!

Tököl LHTL

Adam, we are in 2016, and (at least here) we are in Europe.

These old fat aircraft are still somewhat feasible in the US, but not here in Europe. Beside the fuel cost, around here, with an Aztec, you get the full blow of high landing fees, airway fees and high insurance rates. In addition, at least if EASA reg, you get the full dose of Part M. No ELA1, no ELA 2, not Part-M light! (AFAIK, Apaches are Annex II, but Aztecs aren’t).

They are just not really feasible in Europe anymore.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Another french resgistered Aztec, with good avionics by the way, was sold this year in Spain for a very similar price. So it is clear that that is the value of that airplane.
In this case, the Aztec was owned by one person who was flying a really low number of hours per year and the Aztec was mainly a big expenses generator, so he was really happy to get rid of it asap at whatever price.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

What should prevent Part ML for the PA23?

Last Edited by mh at 23 Nov 09:15
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Nothing. But Part-ML is not a reality today. It’s delayed, and will probably come in 2018.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What would be the fuel flow for such an Aztec?

EDLE, Netherlands

They are an excellent workhorse, and actually I would suggest the E is preferred over the F. Higher useful load, less complexity (the F has a trim connect between the flaps extension and the stabilator to smooth out trim change), and if I recall fewer ADs.

The first hour plan on 110 litres, then 90 litres in the cruise. 65% at wide open throttle altitude of FL90 delivers an honest 165 KTAS. The E can do 180 KTAS at 4,000 and 75%, which is Navajo speeds, and it will typically have a Navajo like useful load of 1800-2000 lbs.

There was a time the Aztec commanded a premium for its ability to operate out of certain Andean mountain strips, but am told the operators switched to this puppy, and since then the Aztec has been in decline.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Ah now I understand your comment. Anyway those aircraft usually tend not to be feasible for the owner without fun in maintenance of the aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

FWIW, big drops are often seen – the original price was set way too high to see if anyone “bites”. However, 75 to 19 is going some… I have seen 120 to 65. 200 to 150 is quite common; most of the used market is overpriced by 20-30% because (as the dealers will tell you) if you asked your final figure the whole market will fall by another 20-30%.

On the few occassions one finds out a little about the seller, there is an obvious correlation between that and the plane initially going up at a silly price. Normal sensible serious sellers, not facing special difficulties etc, don’t do that.

Anyway those aircraft usually tend not to be feasible for the owner without fun in maintenance of the aircraft.

With any metal plane which is old, the cost depends heavily on its history. If it has been neglected for say 30 years (which is true for so many, and I would say especially so many UK based avgas twins, on the grounds there is a “spare engine”) then maintenance will involve a lot of airframe parts and these are always expensive. One hinge might be 1000 quid. One joint for a control linkage another 1000 quid. If say the whole roll linkage is shagged that could be 10k. And these cannot be legally repaired/refurbished/fabricated. Of course they can be technically, and often are under Part 91 in the USA, but here few if any maintenance companies will touch that. The margin on parts is highly valuable and business is hard, with nobody rolling in money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
GNS430: 4k
DME: 1k
HSI: 2k?
XPDR: 1k

On top of that the 2 engines are mid time. These are the ones used in RV10, so at 19K EUR, someone who wants to part it out could make good money.

Belgium
Sign in to add your message