Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Back from the Balkans...

Just reporting back from my 10 days Balkans tour.

It was a magnificent experience – being my first ever longer VFR touring trip after a good year of flying.

This forum and its members contributed a lot to this trip happening – both in terms of the specific advice and answers to my abundant questions during the trip planning and also by the generally inspring lecture of other members’ trip reports.

A detailed report will follow, but here’s some quick statements:

• Aircraft was a club C172 M with long-range tanks
  • Our routing was EDLP Paderborn – LOLW Wels – LYBE Beograd – LDSB Bra? – LJLJ Ljubljana – EDFE Egelsbach – EDLP Paderborn.
  • Total track made good: 1573 NM
  • Total flight time: 16,6 hours
  • The most record-breaking leg for me was LOLW Wels – LYBE Beograd: My longest flight in command (3:52h, 353 NM), with the highest altitude (10.754 ft), the most exotic destination aerodrome, the largest destination aerodrome and a crossing of the Eastern Alps.
  • Despite marginal weather in the destination region upon departure (albeit with an optimistic outlook that turned out accurate), we were able to fly ALL legs as planned. For a multi-day VFR trip across Europe, I thought that’s worth mentioning. The only delay I experienced on the last leg after dropping off my friend in Frankfurt-Egelsbach: There were some gusting winds at EDFE in the morning on Saturday and low cloud and showers en-route to my final destination Paderborn, so I spent the afternoon at the airfield doing paperwork and flew back after things cleared up in the early evening.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Nice trip, however I can’t help feeling you missed a trick by noting heading a little bit further south to Dubrovnik (beautiful city) which would have taken you over some of Montenegro….. But then, if you think that, soon you’d be in Crete, thinking “If I’m come this far…” Looking forward to some pictures, if you have them…..

EDL*, Germany

Rhino, when preparing your detailed report, if you’re able to do it, be advised that I’m very much looking forward to reading it.

Good to see you did the trip! Looking forward to the report

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message