Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Back from the US (Cessna Mustang)

Thanks. What was really interesting was the temperature effect on performance. Particularly yesterday as the Gramet below shows.We went from ISA+12 at one point to ISA-8. This made a 30 knot TAS difference at FL390.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, beautiful new toy… hope you have lots of fun with it!

I think it’s fantastic that one can now learn to fly a DA40/Cirrus and maintain the same avionics system right upto a Mustang – granted there are differences but the UI is mostly constant across the Garmin G1000 platform.

DMEarc

Here is a pic when we were going fast towards the TOD into Scotland.

EGTK Oxford

What a great machine, congratulations.

Did you have to carry HF kit? Was arranging insurance coverage straightforward?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No need for HF, not needed at those altitudes and we had VHF cover except for about 10 minutes when between Canada and Greenland. Insurance was straightforward and is global.

EGTK Oxford

Could you please post some more pictures of the plane, please? An, ah…., if you need a copilot, let me know :-)

EGTK Oxford

Nice one, Jason. Congrats to the new family member – I’m sure you’ll love it! They’re great value for money these days. Less than most single engine TP’s to buy. And hand on heart – don’t you just feel a little more safe when you’re over the icy Atlantic water knowing you got an extra fire and extra systems going?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 28 Sep 22:53

AdamFrisch wrote:

don’t you just feel a little more safe when you’re over the icy Atlantic water knowing you got an extra fire and extra systems going?

Yes and no. If you don’t run out of fuel the single turboprop is very safe – I had no problems flying it transatlantic other than range which was a bit marginal on some legs with adverse winds. I think the feeling of security was more due to the size and stability of the airframe which feels much stronger and more substantial the the PA46s as well as the extra range. And range makes all the difference over water once you have a reliable engine.

You have to remember the engine failure over water is mostly psychological. It happens but with a far lower frequency than most pilots (let alone general public) think. And it is usually accompanied by fuel exhaustion.

Yes you can buy a new Mustang for nearly the same price as a new Meridian M600 and much less than a TBM-900. Value as always is in the eyes of the buyer.

EGTK Oxford

Very nice, Jason! And agree re your ‘over-water engine failure’ comments – how many of these are there really, not counting fuel exhaustion?

Sign in to add your message