Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Back from the US (Cessna Mustang)

What’s your fuel burn down lower at TP altitudes of FL200-250, Jason?

AdamFrisch wrote:

What’s your fuel burn down lower at TP altitudes of FL200-250, Jason?

I’d prefer not to know.

EGTK Oxford

Jason did you run a comparison with the new Meridian M600? It’s interesting that single pilot twin jetfans have similar price points to the single pressurised turbo props.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Robert, yes. The market is really odd. The M600 is priced just below the Mustang and the TBM is priced like an M2.

It actually makes no sense to me. The build quality, systems and capabilities are just incomparable. You do lose shorter runways but I can now get in and out at 3200ft. Would never have taken the Meridian into a much shorter strip.

Operating costs are higher but the US $1mn you save on a Mustang vs TBM900 pays for a lot of fuel and maintenance.

EGTK Oxford

Sorry, these photos should work.

EGTK Oxford

Jason am I correct in assuming your Meridian will not have suffered much depreciation? Having operated it for a few years it would be great to get your parting thoughts on the type, and on the new M600. The new M600 seems a real evolution and hope it becomes a real success.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I bought it at a good price and didn’t lose very much at all. About 7% after 600 hours on a 200 hour aircraft. They are an excellent platform for IFR in Europe.

Fast, Fairly cheap to run for a turboprop; Good systems.

Downsides are no luggage space except behind rear seats. No cabinets or anything else to store stuff like tools. Range also a little too short although for Europe it is pretty well fine.

But given you can pick them up used for the same price as a new Cirrus it is not even a battle.

The M600 is interesting. I am disappointed it isn’t faster however the range is much better and newer avionics are nice. I think it is expensive for what it is. But price vs TBM900 seems about right.

For an aircraft which can cross Europe above the weather with 4 people and luggage it is hard to beat. I think the M600 will make the used Meridians look even better value as many people will trade up.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Oct 20:26
EGTK Oxford

I think we’ve lived in a time when the single engine TP values have artificially been inflated simply because of timing. They invented their own market and demand has outsripped supply. The capable all weather SETP is a relatively new phenomenon and I can’t remember if the Piper or the TBM was first to come out. The PC12 wasn’t even designed for the use it ended up having – it was designed as a Medevac or more capable Caravan, ready to go to work hauling boxes. Nobody, least of all Pilatus, probably realized the market it would have – that it would become the business plane for the owner/pilot crowd.

But this won’t last.

As the first comers get a little longer in the tooth and wander into middle age, and with the SETP market about to be saturated with newcomers eager to get in on the frenzy, it’s going to change. We’ve experienced a unique time in aviation – all other aircraft types depreciate considerably, whereas the SETP’s haven’t. In fact, some PC12NG’s have even appreciated. That’s why I think Jason has done the perfect choice all other things ignored. He’s getting a lot more bang for the buck than the price in comparison would suggest. I would argue that the same is true for twin turbines – they’re extreme value in many cases compared to a SETP.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 03 Oct 03:16

Adam, I agree with much of what you write but not all. First of all, I do not see an end to the high attractiveness (read: high price) of SETs. There are no credible newcomers to the market and actually I see the opposite happening: EASA are allowing PC12 and TBM to be used by AOCs commercially which will further drive their price up. Socata told me the 2016 model will be $3.9m and the list of enhancements is homeopathic.

Also you make it sound like a Musting would be a universal and smarter alternative to say a TBM. There are many reasons it isn’t:

1. Much lower range than TBM
  2. Much longer runways required (ASDA soon, making it rather complex in Europe)
  3. Complex aircraft according to EASA, you will need all the overhead of operations manual, etc.
  4. Significantly more systems knowledge, training required, a TBM/PC12 is essentially very easy to fly for e.g. a Cirrus pilot

Jason apparently can accept 1 and 2 and he is experienced and involved enough to handle 3 and 4. For me personally all 4 would basically be killer arguments. That applies to a lot of the “step up” owner/pilots, hence the totally inflated prices of SETs. I believe the TBM would be cheaper by at least $1m if there was any competition at all but sadly there isn’t. No, the P46T is no competition really.

Nobody, least of all Pilatus, probably realized the market it would have – that it would become the business plane for the owner/pilot crowd.

Dealers tell me that while nearly all TBMs are flown by the owner, nearly all PC12s used for private/business flying, not cargo are flown by a paid crew.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message